The Ironsong Tribe

Full Version: Roleplaying Your Knight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am working with officers to coordinate the RP storyline for the new Knights. The poll Cloud posted is a part of that. So far there is a loose structure in place and I just wanted to start the ball rolling so members know what to expect and can gear their RP stories accordingly. I will announce a more formal storyline once details are in place.

The new expansion will not mean 300 death knights suddenly show up in guild chat. As we are an RP guild these characters will have to come in to the guild in a formal RP way.

Loosely there will be a storyline and a couple of weeks after expansion (guessing 2-4) before the knights will be invited to join on a role-played probationary basis. This will give everyone a chance to buy, load, play, experiment etc.

As these characters are going to be somewhat controversial I encourage players considering a Death Knight to put some thought into storyline, personality traits, background etc. This will not be only about getting a new cool class into the guild, but also about how to incorporate them into our guild culture safely. There will likely be a minimum level requirement like we have for other alts so you will have some leveling to do before bringing your knight before the tribe for induction. This will give you time to decide if this is the class for you and for you to get a feel for the RP that you will craft for your alt.

My initial advice is not to craft a character that is so evil they will alienate themselves. Killing or threatening tribe never goes well. A Death Knight may actually be noble but I would expect them not to be quite as arrogant as the blood elves. What do you think?

I encourage discussion and ideas here on how to play these amazingly complex characters. Post your ideas and get some chatter going. It is really going to be something!

-=((D))=-

I have 2 measly cents to say, though I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do.

#1: Just remember that playing an obnoxious, grating character IC all the time will get on people's nerves eventually OOC, no matter how well they might even know you in real life.

#2: If your character is a loner, it will take more work to get them to join a group of people. This can be very fulfilling, but something to think about.

Do we still have the post on RP'ing Evil Characters kicking around?

I'm not the most studied player in regards to WoW lore. Keeping that in mind, I thought that Death Knights were pretty much anti-social, and wouldn't even consider joining a group like the Tribe.
My understanding is incomplete, but I believe Blizzard has figured out how they're going to address the whole 'anti-social' death knight piece.

As I understand it, Player Death Knights are going to be those who have broken free from the control of King Arthas, and are now using the powers they gained from serving him to strike back. Sort of like the Forsaken.

Hmm, so rogue Death Knights; interesting.
This is an uneducated statement but I believe that no one is born a death knight, they become a death knight through various means like manipulation, mind control, desperation, fear, noble acts (which end in betrayal of course) etc.

These might be things you would want to consider in regards to a background story for your Death knight, which Blizzard I think has done a good job helping players with.
*mini-spoiler alert*

Death Knight PC's will start the game in service to the Scourge and then go through a series of starting quests. At the end they will break free from Arthas and can then choose to join a Horde tribe. That will be part of the game and that is my understanding of the game plan so far...so this will be a good premise to devise your back ground story on.

-D
Dispaya Wrote:*mini-spoiler alert*

Death Knight PC's will start the game in service to the Scourge and then go through a series of starting quests. At the end they will break free from Arthas and can then choose to join a Horde tribe. That will be part of the game and that is my understanding of the game plan so far...so this will be a good premise to devise your back ground story on.

-D

Yes this is the case as I played it last night on the BETA....and I would assume that ALL death knights will have this as part of their background story...its the part behind it that I feel people should be focusing on and considering. I may be wrong though, which I admit I am more often than not Big Grin
Wakaraina Wrote:#1: Just remember that playing an obnoxious, grating character IC all the time will get on people's nerves eventually OOC, no matter how well they might even know you in real life.

Errrrrrrr.... o_o

*throws Kard in a closet*

What about knights with both a evil and good personalities? Because I was thinking that some of the Death Knights minds might have fractured when they were seperated from the Litch King.
Bloodbound Wrote:What about knights with both a evil and good personalities? Because I was thinking that some of the Death Knights minds might have fractured when they were seperated from the Litch King.

Intresting concept...
I'd like to add this and please pass it on to others:

I am hearing rumors already that players have mentioned being "one of Arthas's greatest knights", or related to Arthas, or something similar.

Please don't go there. You will be doing your alt a disservice. We will not be admitting any relatives of Arthas into the tribe.

You may want to read over Kretols excellent post on the salty sailor about RP ideas etc.

Remember that what makes your alt special is the way you RP them. Just giving them a "neato" background will not make the tribe accept you. In fact if your background is that you were "the greatest" etc then its something you will have to live up to.

I'd advise working on your character concept...the background can come after that and it is ok to keep it simple.

-=((D))=-

Bloodbound Wrote:What about knights with both a evil and good personalities? Because I was thinking that some of the Death Knights minds might have fractured when they were seperated from the Litch King.
or (as I am writing about) their minds warping while under his control
I would say the field is generally open to things like that.
Just some things to keep in mind are that any character regardless of class has to have a reason for joining the tribe. If a character is so fractured and insane that they cant function within the tribe then there would be no reason for us to have them here.

I suggest this to many players...have a reason to be here and a reason why you are here to work with others. Once you have that you should be fine.

-D

Just to point out the word "great" could mean many things, ie. A great Death Knight could be one that is particularly strong, fast, skilled with a sword, or a good strategist. And also Highly ranked does not always denote "great" but sometimes it just denotes "Experianced".
Pages: 1 2 3 4