The Ironsong Tribe

Full Version: A Tale of Dispaya
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PROLOGUE

[i]The hour grows late at the Salty Sailor Tavern in Booty Bay, and after a long night of stories and drink, your Ironsong tribe-mates are beginning to retire. Rawne lies drunk under a nearby table with only his legs and feet showing, as Merrina sleeps upright in a chair, snoring loudly with her cap pulled down over her eyes. In the back of the room Damoxian is still bragging about his latest victories at the Core to a few off duty bar wenches who have no idea what he is talking about, as Kosath silently polishes his weapon in the corner. The great and powerful Warlord Sreng sits at his usual place at the head of the table, his drunken face buried in a bowl of turtle bisque porridge. The rest have already left for places unknown.

The undead mage Dispaya sits alone by the fire slowly stirring the flames. Her silhouette catches your eye and you think to yourself that you never really got to know her. You wonder if what they say about her is true. Is she really insane, or is there another reason why she speaks so strangely and carries such sadness in her eyes?

The effects of the mead are beginning to subside yet they still make you bold, so you make your way over and sit beside her. By the firelight, her features tell you that her human death was very young, and yet her wisdom and eloquence are that of a much older woman. Such strange paradoxes are not uncommon amongst Forsaken and those few that you know all share similar traits.

As you begin asking your questions the dark girl sits in silence for a moment as if pondering whether or not to answer, and when she does it is with the usual strange (human?) accent you have come to know.

“Thankee kindly for sitting with me my friend. Ahhh…you want to know from whence I came? Well…’tis a dark tale and one I rarely tell for it still weighs most heavy upon my heart. Yet thou have asked sincerely and to deny your question would be most rude, after all I owe thee much. Sit by the fire and let me tell you a tale of despair. As thou art my own tribe-mate and friend most dear, I think thou hast earned the right to know...â€Â
Dispaya,

I must say this was a well written story of the life you once lived. I enjoyed reading it thoroughly, and was struck by your use of the name Walter, and your description of him as the "dark man." Imagine my surprise to read your little add on after the story of your love of the Dark Tower series.

I am also a Stephen King fan, and fell in love with Roland De'Schain from the first moment I read about him. The Gunslinger....such a dark, and lonely hero he was.

Add to that our friend Eddie, (the junkie), and Susannah (she of no legs, and a split personality) and you have the makings for a wonderful band of adventurers. Finally, we throw in the young boy Jake (who's life could draw comparison's to the Undead in WoW) and his faithful companion Oy teh Billy Bumbler.

I waited for YEARS for the 4th book in this series to be released, and had almost given up on ever learning the fate of our little band of misfits. I remember I almost wet myself when I heard he was finally releasing the next books....

Maybe it was Ka that had you cross paths with Sreng.....and now you are part of Sreng's Ka-Tet.

"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart." Jake Chambers, The Dark Tower V Wolves of the Calla

Krell
60 Orc Hunter
Ironsong Tribe
The face of his father still burns brightly in his mind, and heart.
[i]"We are ka-tet...We are one from many. We have shared our water as we have shared our lives and our quest. If one should fall, that one will not be lost, for we are one and will not forget, even in death." -Roland Deschain (The Dark Tower)[/i]

*For others reading this: Ka-tet refers to the idea that some souls destinies are intertwined. When these souls come together they form a Ka-tet...which comes from the word "Ka" in the DT series which literally means "destiny."

Thankee Sai most kind for your words...they mean much to this one.
As I decided to join WoW and looked into what character to play the undead choice inspired me for the great RP possibilities. I turned to the Gunslinger series for its use of language as I wanted to craft an "accent" for Dispaya that would sound strange to other players, yet would not be classic scottish or english. The hook I found for her was the humor of an undead character who still thinks of herself as "a lady most proper." I find it funny that a character who once used to feast on human flesh still finds it repulsive to bait her own fishing line...;-)

It is nice to know another appreciates the strength of the DT series as I do. Strangley I have met one or two others outside the tribe who speak as I do in character...so there are others out there who understand as we do.
-Dispaya

PS: My fav book in the series was Wolves of the Calla
Such an amazingly creative tale it was.

"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing." -Cort