The Ironsong Tribe

Full Version: And now for something completely different...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

((As I... probably completely forgot to mention to most of you, I had to write a senior thesis this year. Being the nut that I am, I chose to write about MMOs, specifically WoW, and a much smaller one called Clan Lord.

I've finished it (at least as far as the school is concerned), and so have decided to put it up for all to see. Granted, it's nowhere near as good as I'd like, but it still came out well, and (I think) addresses a lot of topics that are near and dear (in varying degrees) to the hearts of players in general.

Those topics include (but are not limited to): online games, the people who play them, the communities they form, the way language is used, the specific mechanisms and structures of certain ones, and the effects or ramifications of virtual life. I've never been good with specificity.

As I eventually wish to revise it for publication, or at the very least make it the base for my dissertation (and more relevantly, my webspace is going to poof after Commencement), it won't be up for very long... about a week or so. If you happen to find yourself with a desire to read it later on, by all means just drop me a line and I'll send you a copy.

You can find it here. (I do warn you - it's longish. 124 pages or so.)

Although I never quite got to the more empirical side of the investigation (interviews, surveys and regressions, oh my!), I still learned so much from watching all of you and interacting with you. You all were a big help and you didn't even know it!

-SWC Cora))
((Thanks for posting it! I d/l'ed the PDF now for later consumption. : ) Congrats!))

Tae
I think its great that you've put that much time and effort into such topic. I'm sure as the years go on, the phenominon (sp?) of MMO's and the enormous legend of WoW itself will spawn a great deal of debate and sociological study. I saved the file and will be looking at it more later. Good luck with your revision and education in general Big Grin

thank you for posting this Coranda. finally got around to reading through it this morning. Good work! PM to follow.

Thanks for the read. I've often thought the dynamics of MMO's would be an interesting study. For what degree did you write this disseration?

*waves* For those of you that didn't get to read it before, here is the pdf of my thesis, this time in handy actually-downloadable format!

-SWC Cora

Oh! And super-late as I may be in replying, I wrote it for my BA in Sociology, Irasis. My college has everyone write a thesis to graduate.

Is that homage to Monty Python's Flying Circus? :lol: Gotta love it.

Errr... no? I think I may be the only person in my age group who doesn't like/know Monty Python. The title refers to the motto of Clan Lord, the other game I studied.

Coranda Wrote:Errr... no? I think I may be the only person in my age group who doesn't like/know Monty Python. The title refers to the motto of Clan Lord, the other game I studied.

Oops, sorry. In the early episodes of flying circus they have an obsession with that line.