The Ironsong Tribe

Full Version: Huh...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Quote:Greetings!

To celebrate the 10 million player milestone, Blizzard Entertainment Inc, and Ripway web hosting have teamed up to give away 6,000 Beta keys for Wrath of the lich king closed beta.

Time is limited, and we have a select amount of spots to fill for the beta testing period.

To accept the beta you need to visit Wrath of the Lich King and fill in your information. You will be automatically registered! You should recieve a conformation email within 24 hours with the rules to the beta test, and where to download the client.

Some features include
Master the necromantic powers of the Death Knight - World of Warcraft's first Hero class.
Quest to level 80, gaining potent new abilities and talents along the way.
Learn the craft of spell augmentation with the new Inscription profession.
Brave the harsh new continent of Northrend, the icy domain of the Lich King.
Engage in epic siege warfare, deploying mighty siege engines to lay waste to destructible buildings in your path.
Transform your hero's look with new character-customization options, including new hairstyles and dances.
Explore perilous new dungeons filled with some of the deadliest creatures -- and greatest treasures -- on Azeroth. And much, much more...

Thank you for participating in this ground breaking expansion pack, and we look forward to seeing you on the new continent of Northrend, the icy domain of the Lich King!

Anyone else get something of this nature? The email is seemingly from <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> and it is sent to my account's email address, but the blizzard login page it takes me to is at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://h1.ripway.com/WrathOfTheLichKing/">http://h1.ripway.com/WrathOfTheLichKing/</a><!-- m --> and I'm not about to put my account info in there.

Really clever as far as scams go.
It was smart to not put your account info anywhere near there. This seems to me like exactly the kind of thing people should be careful to avoid -- that entire email just screams "shady". I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone should even be clicking that link.
SCAM!!!! Run for your lives!!!

I'm particularly impressed at how they nonchalantly try to explain why it's not a blizzard page with "Blizzard Entertainment Inc, and Ripway web hosting have teamed up". I wonder how many people were so excited to be invited into the beta that they tried signing into the login on that page. The page itself is clean, looked through the source code pretty thoroughly. It seems to be a straight social engineering attempt to get the mark to turn over their account info willingly. I actually find myself admiring the thought that went into this one. It's a far cry from the run of the mill scam.
Kaerrah Wrote:I actually find myself admiring the thought that went into this one. It's a far cry from the run of the mill scam.

I'm amazed - now I've finally seen a scam where the scammer had a basic grasp of the English language Big Grin

I know! Spoofed the proper blizzard email and everything!

They're evolving! They're learning!

Run!
Happily, it looks like Ripway shut down the account that was hosting that page.

Now, if the scammers had been clever enough to get a good hostname like "wrathbetaprogram.com"...