pally specs that might help the guild
I thought there was a topic about this on our forums but didn't see it.

I know everyone will say to spec your pally to your playing style (another reason the guild is so great) but i wanted to ask if there's a preference to Holy specs needed and will Ret Pallies be able to help as much in Raids and such. I was thinking of speccing Ret myself after playing a Holy Pally on alliance ever since the game started but didn't want to be a backseat Pally in Raids. And i'm sure we might not know the full needs of future raids from 60-70 lvls. So wanted to throw the question up that, based on experiences from MC and BWL, is there a major concesus as to thinking we may need our pallies to heal and buff more often then getting in there with some 2handers?

and for us hundered people that are creating pallies, should we start up some pally groups to lvl them up and have some fun pally fun? can we call it that? Fun Pally Fun? that sounds like fun. who wouldn't want to join some fun pally fun? ok....am i drunk again?

this doesn't exclude Protection Pallies. just don't know too many going down that road.
I'm probably going to level Anathamon as Protection with a little Retribution. Depending on how I like things I may go one way or the other.

Protection provides the Blessing of Kings (10% buff to all stats) that most Alliance guilds demand all their pallies have.

But looking at leve 70 tanking stats I doubt Anathamon will be doing any MT or OT work so he'll probably end up Retribution. Another DPS character in my long line of dps characters.

I suppose I am forever doomed to roll against other classes for their gear. :p
My experience playing a paladin shows a pretty heavy leaning toward Holy / Prot paladin for raiding, with Ret being used for PvP almost exclusively. Ret pallies can still heal and all, but Holy paladin are <i>very</i> strong in that field. The new Holy spells really exacerbate it.

Retribution isn't entirely without it's uses though. Improved Blessing of Might would be benefitial for the warriors, as would Imp. Retribution Aura. Sanctity Aura isn't all that great, but Imp. Sanctity Aura with the added +heal % really makes it worth it.

So while Holy would be great for an additional healbot (and Light's Grace, Holy Guidance, and Divine Illumination are really awesome new talents) I would say that every spec really has it's advantages that would greatly benefit a party or raid. Afterall, paladin are the ultimate buffbots. Wink
[Image: 85443.png][Image: 85444.png]
Efluvia Wrote:Another DPS character in my long line of dps characters.

Wait. Did you just use the phrase "DPS" in reference to a Paladin?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I didn't say it would be good dps. And, as things stand now, pallies are far better dps than an enhancement shammie.
Wakaraina Wrote:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
PvP paladins can deal crazy amounts of damage very quickly for a class thats already near impossible to kill.. DPS paladins in future raids is not out of the question.
What is the best thing in life?
Crush enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
Efluvia Wrote:I didn't say it would be good dps. And, as things stand now, pallies are far better dps than an enhancement shammie.

Hey now, once I start dual-wielding rockbiter weapons, I was doing a pretty decent amount of damage on Wednesday in the Core. Not Efluvia-levels, but still!

I don't know, though. In a raid situation, I've never seen a Paladin output very much DPS, they were more useful as buffbot (not Buffy Bot). Then again, both of the Paladins I normally raid with are spec'd for healing and tanking.
Wakaraina Wrote:
Efluvia Wrote:I didn't say it would be good dps. And, as things stand now, pallies are far better dps than an enhancement shammie.

Hey now, once I start dual-wielding rockbiter weapons, I was doing a pretty decent amount of damage on Wednesday in the Core. Not Efluvia-levels, but still!

I don't know, though. In a raid situation, I've never seen a Paladin output very much DPS, they were more useful as buffbot (not Buffy Bot). Then again, both of the Paladins I normally raid with are spec'd for healing and tanking.

I have strong doubts that Fluvie will be specced for healing . . . .
Merrina Wrote:I have strong doubts that Fluvie will be specced for healing . . . .

*snickers and hides her 34/22/5 build idea for her pallie*
Wakaraina Wrote:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I've been stunned with Hammer of Justice and killed by a Retribution Pally before the effect has worn off before. Critadins can put out a LOT of hurt with a slow 2H weapon, judgements and Seal of Command. Toss in Hammer of Wrath to finish the job, and whew...pallies can be dangerious!
[Image: 85443.png][Image: 85444.png]

Them's fightin' words!

Fanae is doing a _lot_ of damage DWing axes in the beta, though I need to get an actual meter.
"You can never run from trouble, 'cause there ain't no place that far." - Scissor Sisters, "Lights"
My shaman, Cleeyo, runs dual wielding as well. Even in all blues, with +36% crit chance, windfurry on both, I'm maybe making 280 dps or so if I get lucky. But its all about luck.

I'm not picking on a class I don't know about :p
I can't comment on your guild-specific needs and experiences and so on, being um...a dwarf.

>.>

<.<

BUT!

I thought I'd just chime in, in regards to my experiences elsewise...

Firstly, that any spec Paladin should be able to do a pretty fantastic job healing a supporting when needed for it. Holy spec is great, even more so with the new talents, but I bet you could hold up your end when your guild calls on you to heal, regardless what spec you are. I have thus far being Protection spec...pretty much since forever (back before it had Blessing of Kings, Reckoning "Bombs", and tanking improvements).

Second, Protection and Retribution are much improved for raiding I think.

Ret I can't comment so much on, not the one I've delved into. However, Crusader Strike refreshing every Paladin's Judgements on a monster is quite convenient, and Sanctified Crusader giving more critical hits for every class seems quite nice.

Protection I know a wee bit more about, heh. I went from basically filling vault space with spare tank gear I wish I could use, to actually tanking bossfights in AQ40 and Naxx. This especially came in handy when we'd start hitting things where we needed 7 or so tanks...basically made the encounters possible, quite a nice feeling.

~Fanror
My first char ever in WoW was a pally. Got him to 54. I was retribution that whole time and loved the damage boost for leveling. Granted, talents have changed a lot since the game was released, but I think I'll go retribution again.
...I have a 60 Paladin.

Holy is an excellent build option. Paladins can be the most mana efficient healing class in the game. The 41 talent is crap, but a 40/0/11 or 40/11/0 is very viable.

Ret is very gear dependent end-game, but it's great for leveling. As goofy as it sounds, there's nothing quite as exciting as when Seal of Command procs. And it looks cool, too. Crusader Strike (even post-nerf) is a really nice addition to DPS.

I'm really curious about Prot, especially in an area where there aren't any Warriors or Druids. It kind of forces Paladins into a tanking roll. Again, though, the 41 talent is weak.

For raiding, key talents include: Blessing of Kings, Imp. Blessing of Wisdom, Imp. Blessing of Might and Imp. Judgment (for Seal of Wisdom). Obviously, not everyone can have all of those, but when slotting raids you want to be sure to have one of each.

~ Honorius, Blood Knight