Your Favorite Books!
Because I like the movie thread, I thought I would start one about books. I know there are a bunch of avid readers out there, and there may be some of us who are looking for something to read.

So please, post your favorite reads!

I will list just a few of my favorites just to get the ball rolling.....

The Hobbit-Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings-Tolkien
The Stand-Stephen King
The Dark Tower-Stephen King (7 book series...great stuff)
Band of Brothers-Ambrose
Complete 3 Book Compilation of Calvin & Hobbes-Watterson (Damn right I listed a comic)
IT-Stephen King

I'll admit to not being a huge reader, but I did just finish a book called Orcs, by Stan Nicholls. Saw it at Powell's and had to pick it up....I mean, it's a book from the perspective of Orcs. Duh!
Shantow the Bear
The Ironsong Tribe

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." King
I'm going to be very generic here and say

Harry Potter (all 7 books, though the Goblet of Fire has to be my favorite) - I was captured by the Harry Potter stories when I was 11, same age the young wizard starts his training at Hogwarts. I read every one of them, anticipating each one as they came out over the years. In a way, a lot of his teenage issues growing up were issues I could relate to as well. Though I didn't have the wands and magic, I understood the small lessons in love, friendship, bravery and loyalty that were displayed in all seven books.

Kushiel's Dart series - Very deep stories that I enjoyed thoroughly, though I am still only half-way through the second. They opened my mind up to a new idea on how we see love and affection portrayed in the world. Not to mention it also had a very intricate plot following war, survival and betrayal.

Warcraft books (pretty much all of them) - Being the avid lore-freak that I am, I have to read the Warcraft stories. They capture my imagination as much as creating my own stories on the totem here do. I love how there are characters (such as Medivh) who are written and talked about in a way I don't get to see in game. It really helps me understand the lore better and in turn, I make better RP. Not to mention, they're just wonderfully captivating stories regardless of what they do for me. I'm currently reading the Sunwell Trilogy and am finding it hard to put them down. Smile
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
I don't read a whole lot myself, either. Though I have enjoyed the LotR and Hobbit books. After all the drivel they made us read in school and tried to pass off as literature, it's a surprise I read anything at all. I had to read Treasure Island in grade school and that was the only one that I "really" liked. I've read it several times since then.
[Image: IST_Noodle2_sm.jpg]
Hmmmm, I am not much of a reader but the following are books that I enjoyed:

Sword-Dancer > Sword-Singer > Sword-Maker > Sword-Breaker > Sword-Born > Sword-Sworn a series by the author Jennifer Roberson. It involves two characters; Sandtiger from the south, and Delilah (Del) from the North. Both Sword-Dancers who are trained differently and encounter many adventures and obstacles over the series of books. I really really enjoyed them.

Harry Potter the series everyone knows. I enjoyed the magic and the friendships made in this book. It didn't hide the reality of evil and almost made me cry....especially the audiobooks.

The Giver > Gathering Blue > Messenger a series of companion books written by Lois Lowry. They are very simple books but with powerful messages. They are not direct sequals but are in the same world and have some character crossover.

Just finished reading the Twilight Saga (out of sheer curiosity) and was interesting and reasonably entertaining after mid second book. Wont make my favorites though.

Currently reading Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.

Plan to read Bram Stokers Dracula, and Homers Illiad and The Odyssey
Ok a couple others that were forced on me in school that I actually liked:
Beowulf - Had to read that twice for school, once in HS and again in college.
The Odyssey - I always liked the mythology stuff.

I've also read a few of the Star Wars EU books. The Timothy Zahn "Heir to the Empire" books being the best of the ones I have read.

And my favorite book as a kid was "Where the Red Fern Grows", about a boy and his hunting dogs. I read that one a few times.
Noodle, may I start calling you Grand Admiral Thrawn?
Shantow the Bear
The Ironsong Tribe

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." King
Well be both have glowy eyes and a thirst for galactic conquest...
Zahn is a great author, one of the better to write in the Star Wars universe.

I have read a vast quantity of books that I've liked, so it's hard to pin down my favorites. I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove, he does some excellently thought provoking alternative history fictions. But if I had to pick a single favorite, it would probably be World War Z by Max Brooks, Son of Mel Brooks.

The story is written as a historical collection of first person accounts of the zombie apocalypse, from first outbreak through to the end and how various nations/peoples coped. The narrator is an author traveling about collecting said accounts and ordering them chronologically for the reader. The varied view points and dry matter-of-fact nature of many of the speakers makes this one of the most chillingly realistic books I've read. They're not talking about some fantastical story, they're talking about their own brutal history. It's an excellent and compelling read that I really couldn't put down and read in a single sitting.
Oh my... that's a big question! I admit to being a very avid reader. My focus has changed over time: I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy in college, many years of non-fiction after that, and finally my current phase of modern fiction.

Nonfiction

I spent a period of about ten years reading almost nothing but non-fiction. Much of this reading was in the form of "deep dives" on subject matter of great interest to me: anthropology, history, human natural history, language history, forensic science, etc. Here are some of my favorites -- the ones that opened up new areas of thought and have stayed with me through the years:

Rebuilt: my journey back to the hearing world, by Michael Chorost -- The story of a man who goes deaf in his 30s, and his experience with hearing loss and later, with cochlear implants. His descriptions are amazing -- the cacophony of meaningless noise when he turns the implants on, and the laborious re-training of his brain to associate the new implant-derived sounds with the remembered sounds from his hearing days. For example, a certain kind of staticy popping sound from the implant might be how the implant interprets the rustle of a plastic bag -- he had to learn what the new sound meant. And every time he got a software upgrade he'd have to re-learn some of his sounds.

The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat, by Oliver Sacks -- or any book by Oliver Sacks, an amazing neurologist who explored a great variety of neurological disorders (e.g. a remote village in which a large percentage of the population is 100% colorblind; a patient who can't draw anything on the left side of a piece of paper or eat anything on the left side of her plate; the story of a blind man whose sight was restored in adulthood etc.) Oliver Sacks is an articulate, compassionate writer and doctor, and his stories have stayed with me for years. He is also the author of Awakenings, which was made into a movie with Robin Williams.

Our Marvelous Native Tongue, by Robery Claiborne -- Wonderful book about the history of the English language and its many influences. I love the history of language and this was one of the best books out there on the topic. It has great breadth and depth, and is easy to read and witty. Highly recommended. Only available used. In the same vein I enjoyed Ad Infinitum, a history of Latin, from its earliest beginnings as an Italian dialect, through its spread via the Roman Empire, and then its drift and division into the various spoken Romance languages, while the original language remained as the language of the medieval church, and its modern usage in science.

Saxons, Vikings and Celts: the genetic roots of Britain and Ireland, by Bryan Sykes -- Engaging book about genetic studies of the populations of the British isles (it's called Blood of the Isles in the UK, if you're looking over there). How much of the modern population is genetically Celtic? How much is Angle or Saxon? How much is Viking? How much is Norman? And way back -- how much is Roman? By the author of The Seven Daughters of Eve, also highly recommended, which is about tracing the history of our mitochondrial DNA back to different female ancestors of the Ice Age. See also: Mapping Human History, by Olson, for more coverage of human history.

Montaillou: the promised land of error, by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladrurie -- This book was quite a find, and I'm still stunned that it exists. It's an account of peasant life in Southern France from the early 1300's... through first person interviews. It exists because at this time there was a heresy circling around that area, and the Bishop of Pamiers launched an Inquisition to stamp it out, which involved interviewing the local peasants about their beliefs and writing down what they said. In the process of describing their beliefs to the Inquisitors, the peasants revealed a great deal about their daily lives. The transcripts of these interviews sat in the Vatican library for 700 years, until historian Ladrurie discovered them and reconstructed the community, economy, and the most intimate aspects of peasant medieval life from the peasants' own accounts of their lives. It's just an amazing work... it's so incredibly rare to hear from the "little guys" of history. It's a thick read, but well worth the effort.

Journal of a younger brother, by Thomas Platter -- the personal journal of a medical student in Montpellier, France. He details his adventures, his travels during university holidays, his views on the world and on politics and on the people around him and how they lived. He writes with great insight and sensitivity. But the kicker is that he was writing in 1552, and he is describing a world that was emerging from the middle ages into the renaissance. An amazing journal.

Another historical autobiographical work that I enjoyed is the Letters of the Younger Pliny -- personal letters written by a Roman lawyer and administrator. The letters that moved me most were the ones in which he describes his eye witness account of the eruption of Vesuvius which buried Pompeii and Herculaneum, and later, a letter chastising a friend for standing him up for dinner, in which he describes the lovely Roman meal he had prepared and which his friend missed. The menu was a delight to read, and the author's hurt feelings were very clear, even two thousand years later. For a moment, an ancient Roman came alive to me, bridging a gap of two thousand years, and I felt that we weren't so different after all.

And if you are interested in historical cooking, I recommend Cooking Apicius: Roman recipes for today, by Sally Grainger, which is a translation and adaptation of sixty recipes from the only remaining cookbook from the Roman Empire, Apicius. The original Apicius text was in extreme shorthand, and probably represented recipes by cooks for cooks, so a lot of knowledge was assumed and therefore lost to the modern reader. This translation describes what is known about Roman cooking -- the ingredients and techniques they used -- and helps the reader to find modern equivalents in flavoring, spicing, and presentation.

A Fly for the Prosecution: how insect evidence helps solve crimes, by M. Lee Goff -- I really enjoy books on forensics, and this was a great angle on the subject, through forensic entomology.

How We Die: reflections on life's final chapter, by Sherwin B. Nuland -- This book examines the exact mechanisms of death in great medical detail, and with great compassion. It was a very, very hard book to read, but ultimately the knowledge has helped to demystify the process a bit for me.

On Fertile Ground: a natural history of human reproduction, by Peter T. Ellison -- Broad and detailed examination of the evolution and function of different aspects of human reproduction. An amazing read that covers anthropology, ecology, and evolutionary biology of human reproduction. And better yet, it doesn't have a social agenda, it doesn't preach -- it's just a beautiful, sensitive natural history synthesis of the best kind.

Understanding Movies, by Louis Giannetti -- a textbook on the artistic language of movies (with sections on light, movement, camera, sound, editing, acting styles, drama, story, screenplay etc.). This book has greatly helped me to interpret movies, and thus greatly deepened my appreciation of them as an art form. It gave me the language with which I could finally discuss movies in a structural way.

Fiction

* I read a fair amount of fiction as a teenager. Here are some of my favorites from that period:

Anything by Gerald Durrell, e.g. My Family and Other Animals -- Autobiographical stories about a British boy growing up in Corfu, an island off the coast of Greece, in the 1950's or so, who spends his days exploring the natural world around him and keeping lots of native pets. He grows up to start his own zoo and does his own animal collecting. His books are well written, very funny, and atmospheric.

All Creatures Great and Small series, by James Herriot -- Wonderful, heartwarming stories by a country veterinarian in Yorkshire in the 1930's, 40's and 50's. I know all these almost by heart.

Watership Down Richard Adams -- A fantasy story starring intelligent but still realistic rabbits. This book is almost two books in one -- part 1 involves the flight from catastrophe of a small number of rabbits, part 2 the establishment of their new colony and their interactions with a much larger, politically repressive warren. Amazing character-driven story which remains true to the essential rabbitiness of the characters, complete with a set of Brer Rabbit-style myths beautifully interwoven with, and complementary to, the main narrative. (This is not "Animal Farm" in which the animals stand in for humans -- the rabbits are really rabbits).

Duncton Wood by William Horwood -- A fantasy story starring intelligent moles, but following multiple generations of protagonists, and with more of an emphasis on religion. Later books in the series become examinations of Christianity.

West with the Night by Beryl Markham -- Autobiographical story by a female pilot in East Africa in the 1930s. Beautifully written story of growing up in East Africa with the native children in the early 1900s, the social order of the time, becoming a thoroughbred horse trainer and then a pilot, flying as a bush pilot, and later doing the first solo flight across the Atlantic from East to West.

... and a couple children's and young adult books:

Wrinkle in Time / Wind in the Door / Swiftly Tilting Planet, by Madeleine L'Engle -- I'm sure you all know this one, too. These were some of my favorite books growing up, especially Swiftly Tilting Planet. I grew up abroad and I wanted so desperately to share that book with my peers that I ended up translating it cover to cover in longhand so my best friend could read it. So this one has a special place in my heart.

Tom's Midnight Garden, by Philippa Pearce -- A British boy travels back in time and makes friends from fifty years before. A heartwearming story of intergenerational friendship.

Also, the Phantom Tollbooth, the Anne of Green Gables series and associated short stories, Little Women, The Year of the Horse, all the Oz books, Alice in Wonderland, The Swiss Family Robinson, the Wind in the Willows, Heidi, The rats of NIMH, E. B. White's Charlotte's Web and Trumpet of the Swan. And anything by Albert Payson Terhune, e.g. Lad: a dog and Wolf -- these are dog stories from the 1920s and 1930s, quite campy and not great quality, but I love them anyway and spent about ten years collecting all of Terhune's books... they are no longer in print so I checked every used bookstore I came across for them, wherever I was in the world, until I had collected them all, and it was a triumphant but sad day when I finally found my last one.

... and some mysteries:

I love mysteries, especially "cozy" mysteries from the inter-war "golden age" mystery period in the 1920s and 1930s in Britain. I've read all of Agatha Christie's books, but my favorite mystery writer from that period is Dorothy L. Sayers.

* After ten years or so reading mostly non-fiction, I wanted to get into modern fiction but I had trouble figuring out where to find really good books. There's a lot of bad fiction out there, and my reading time had become so limited that I didn't want to waste months plowing through mediocre books. I finally got my foot in the door in 2006 or so with the discovery of Gilead. I also discovered prize lists (particularly the Man Booker lists), got some good recommendations from people whose tastes are similar to mine, joined a book club which helped me discover books that I might not otherwise have picked up, and got reading recommendations from knowledgeable independent bookstores. Here are some of my favorites:

Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson -- Lyrical, moving novel about an aging minister, John Ames, and the young son he has very late in life. John Ames realizes that he is so old that will not get to see his son grow up, and that his son may never really know him. The novel is in the form of a letter written to his future adult son: it is a consideration of his life, his thoughts on love and friendship and his faith. It is an amazing, deeply moving read.

Leaving Mother Lake: a girlhood at the edge of the world, by Yang Erche Namu -- Autobiographical story of a girl who grew up near the Chinese border with Tibet in a very rare matrilineal society which did not practice marriage. Children stay with their mothers all their lives. Men court women in other compounds, and then return to their own family compounds, and the resulting children are raised by their mothers and maternal uncles. Amazing look into a society totally different from our own, which is a backdrop to a fiery, independent woman who fights hard to escape her world.

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri -- Lovely book of short stories on the experience of modern Indian expatriates in America: conflicts between Indian tradition and Western values, between generations. Beautifully written book.

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters -- A novel that follows the lives of four characters during WWII in London. The book starts in 1947 and works backwards to 1941, so over the course of the book you discover, not where the characters are going, but where they've been, and the choices that led them to the final scenes described in the first part of the book. The book has some weaknesses, but overall it's an innovative and intriguing read.

Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro -- This is a very quiet book in which most of the story takes place in the mind of a deeply loyal, emotionally restrained butler in mid-20th century Britain. It follows his journey from blind loyalty to through questioning his master's behavior during WWII, an independence of thought that shocks and upsets him deeply, and makes him question his whole social order and the meaning of his own life. It's am amazing psychological journey, resulting in some deep questions about what his own life was about, and whether he had spent it well.

Science fiction

I spent about five years in my early twenties reading mainly science fiction. This petered out after a while, though I've read the occasional science fiction book since then and am still very fond of the genre. Here are some of my favorites:

The Worthing Saga, by Orson Scott Card -- A book about a young mind reader, Jason Worthing, who was born on an Azimovian city-planet and left to pilot a colony ship filled with sleeping people whose memories were stored outside their bodies. On the way to the colony, he lost all the memories, and was left with hundreds of sleeping amnesiacs. But the book is far more than this, spanning thousands of years and the fall and rise of civilizations. It explored a wide variety of rich issues: mind reading, free will, the nature of storytelling, immortality, and quantity vs. quality of life, and the struggles that bring out the best in people... and who we might become if those struggles were removed.

Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card -- This book has stayed with me for many years. It's basically science fiction anthropology -- the story of a human colony on an alien planet, interacting with the sentient native population. It's a trenchant exploration of how technologically advanced societies behave towards primitive societies.

Startide Rising by David Brin -- A shipwreck story of an Earth spaceship on an alien water planet, with humans an sentient dolphins. Tightly plotted, gripping story, with an excellent look at what sentient dolphins might actually be like.

Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge -- I absolutely loved the alien life form the author came up with in this book. I won't spoil it for you, but it remains one of the most creative and intriguing alien species I've ever seen. The plot itself it a bit loose, and the author had trouble handling some of the climactic scenes, but the worldbuilding is first rate.

Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson -- Realistic, character-driven look at the colonization of Mars. Very, very well done. He does an excellent job with the science, and in creating the different worldviews of the characters. I especially like the contrast between Nadia's practical, engineering outlook and Anne Clayborne's scientific, eco-purist outlook. I didn't like the sequels quite as much but the first book was stunning.
I'll read just about anything by Neil Gaiman

I've read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings multiple times

I've read the first three Ender books from Orson Scott Card, and am anxious for more

I just picked up the first of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy

I've read five books from the increasingly erroneously named Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy

Though I don't like L Ron Hubbard's religions, I read the whole Mission Earth dekology

Yeah, sci-fi and fantasy.
Well the Discworld series, by Terry Pratchett, naturally.
Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams.
The Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind. (It is a bit repetative at times, but listening to it in the car helps get through those bits.
Dead Until Dark and the rest, by Charlaine Harris. (Ever hear of a certain HBO series called True Blood? This is the series that it's based off of. (And if you've ever heard of the Twilight books, just to let ya know, Harris' books came first.))
If you're looking for some hard-core fantasy George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is the one to read. Now here is an author who isn't afraid to kill off a main character.
R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors. There's his Forgotten Realms books with a well-known Drow named "Drizzt," and The Saga of the First King series, featuring Branson, the highwayman.
And with the exception of a few titles, Stephen King. My favorites being: Duma Key, The Stand, The Drawing of Three, (part of The Dark Tower series), and Insomnia. Interestingly enough, there are certain key elements that pop-up from time to time that link select works together.
The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas, and various other works is a must-read, but should not be read if it's assigned reading.
Hamlet, by Shakespeare.
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck.
And, of course, the Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling. If you like the Harry Potter books, give The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix a try.

Ok. I'm really really done now. (This is what you get from someone who works at a library.)
Birth of the Firebringer / Dark Moon / The Son of Summer Stars by Meredith Ann Pierce - the Firebringer Trilogy has been my all-time favorite series since I was, oh, nine or ten. It's about unicorns, but these are not your wimpy white virgin lovers; no, these unicorns are warriors. It's wonderfully written but not very well-known, and I'm afraid that they might be going out of print again - I never see them in bookstores anymore, and Amazon's only selling used copies of the third book. They'll always have a place in my heart, though, and on my bookshelf.

The Final Empire / The Well of Ascension / The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - Oh my God, there are no words to accurately describe how much I love the Mistborn trilogy! Sanderson has a real gift for world-building and creating multi-faceted, compelling characters, as well as managing a tangle of plot lines. Man's a damned genius. His standalone novels Elantris and Warbreaker are just as fantastic, and I am going insane waiting for the first book of his new Stormlight Archive series, The Way of Kings, to be released next week! Sanderson is the type of writer I hope to become one day.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - an insanely fun series I'm still working my through. Urban fantasy tends to be a bit of a cesspool, but it makes the real gems shine all the brighter, and this series is the brightest of all. Action, humor, drama, and a whole lot of mystery, as told from the snarky perspective of Chicago's only professional wizard.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - Do I really need to explain why? I mean, it's Tolkien.

The Nightside series by Simon R. Green - pulp-style urban fantasy/horror/mystery/noir books! They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I find them ridiculously entertaining. They follow the (mis)adventures of John Taylor, a P.I. with a special gift for finding things, through the Nightside, London's dark heart where anything can be bought for the right price. My guilty pleasure series, for sure.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - this was probably the only book from my high school days that was required reading which I ended up loving (Shakespeare doesn't count, I've always loved Shakespeare). It's just something that's always stuck with me, and Atticus Finch is the kind of lawyer I hope to become one day. It's not a book I reread often, but it's always a pleasure doing so.

Dune by Frank Herbert - I've had issues with Mr. Herbert ever since I had to do a paper on psychology in his various books, and I'm strongly of the opinion that all his works went downhill after Dune, but Dune I've always loved; as much as I love science fiction, it's always been difficult trying to find books in the genre that really appealed to me, and Dune is one of the few that did so. I grudgingly admit to liking Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, but I tend to ignore everything else after that point.

The X-Wing Series by Michael J. Stackpole and Aaron Allston - I am a Star Wars nerd. I clearly recall being taken by my parents to see the Special Edition theatrical re-releases of the original trilogy when my brother and I were seven, and I've loved it ever since. As such, I've always had a soft spot for the expanded universe - though my affection extends to some entries more than others. The Thrawn trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology by Timothy Zahn are, of course, completely and totally awesome, but even watching the movies, my favorite parts always tended to be the ones with ship-to-ship combat. (This was probably the earliest manifestation of my military and military history nerdiness.) Thus, the X-wing series quickly became my favorite part of the Star Wars expanded universe with their focus on pilots. My favorite-favorites are the books written by Aaron Allston, for the great cast of characters, the intricacy of the plot, and the crazy hijinks (gogo Wraith Squadron!). This series is inevitably why, when I was asked by a good friend at college a few months ago, "Han or Luke?" my answer was "Wedge!"

The Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop - originally a trilogy (Daughter of the Blood / Heir to the Shadows / Queen of the Darkness), now expanded beyond that (including a compilation of short stories and novellas called Dreams Made Flesh, as well as more novels like The Invisible Ring, Tangled Webs, The Shadow Queen, and Shalador's Lady, plus the forthcoming Twilight's Dawn). Completely and totally a guilty pleasure. They won't be winning Hugo Awards nor be turned into movies, but they're still fun reads and probably the closest thing to the romance genre I'll ever touch. (No worries, though, it's still very much fantasy. Well, dark fantasy. Not for everyone. Still love 'em.)

Other favorites in the fiction genre include books by Mercedes Lackey, Glen Cook, Naomi Novik, Elizabeth Bear, and Steven Burst.

I tend to be a bit pickier about non-fiction, but most of my favorites are clearly centered in the realm of history and even more specifically, military history. Favorites include Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose, Sea of Thunder by Evan Thomas, and The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer; the latter books are both about the Battle of Leyte Gulf, particularly the Battle off Samar, an historical event that's always intrigued and awed me.

...And now I'm reminded that I should start trying to figure out which books to take with me when I move back to college on Sunday. Heh.
[Image: 2627648EgUWn.png]

[Image: 2627663SOPQY.png]
Hey cool, I didn't know this was here. I don't do much reading but I am VERY picky about my authors. Most of my books have been lost or destroyed through various movings but there are a few I still cling to.

The Illiad and Odessey
William Shakespere (I Have a collection of all his works)
Women of the otherworld series by Kelly Armstrong
The Kitty Norvel series by Carrie Vaughn (though I've only read up to book 3)
I like some of stephen R. Donladson (In the mirror of her dreams, and a man rides though. I have read his unbeliever series and didn't care for it.)
Mark twain and Sir Arther Conan Doyle were always two favorites. I've inherited an antique book collection of everything mark twain has written, i really want to read them but fear of damaging the books.
ANYTHING by Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, H.P. Lovecraft, and Isaac Asimov.
hmm lets see

Book of swords series and berserker series by Fred Saberhagen
The Belgariad by david eddings
Magician and riftwar series by Raymond E Fiest
Anything by Tolkien.
Vanpire files by P.N. Elrod awesome vampire detective series
Incarnations of Immortality series by peirs anthony . On a pale horse is the best one in my opinion
lots more Sci-fi Fantasy that i cant remeber titles too Smile

Scaramouche and Captain Blood by Rafael Sabitini got me interested in pirates and swashbuckling
3 musketeers by alexandare Dumas
Red badge of courage by stephen crane first book i read cover to cover without stopping

Curahee by Donald Burgett about the actions of the 506th PIR in the Normandy Invasion
Read it almost 30 years ago for a book report . Never wrote the report on this book .
Had to choose something lighter .
Saltin (mage 375tailor ,375 enchanter)
Lucrenda (Rogue 375miner ,352 smith)
Asaram (Hunter 375skinner 351 leatherworker)
Pahakan (Warrior 350herbs 375alchemy )
Mantiki (Shaman 355miner 363engineer)
Hoti (Warlock 190Miner 350 jeweler)
Have Alt Will Travel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite quote 1 1,770 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Your favorite movies Zlinka 25 10,060 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Last Post: rincewindy