Wrath of the Lich King.. Official Press Release.
WORLD OF WARCRAFT®: WRATH OF THE LICH KING™ UNVEILED

Blizzard Entertainment® reveals new expansion for its popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game at BlizzCon™ gaming festival

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- August 3, 2007 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans for the second expansion to World of Warcraft®, its award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). Unveiled at the company's BlizzCon™ gaming festival before an audience of more than 8,000 gamers, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King™ will open the forbidding wasteland of Northrend to exploration by the hardiest adventurers. New levels of power, challenging new dungeons and encounters, an exciting new character profession, and the game's first hero class are just some of the new features awaiting players in Wrath of the Lich King.

"This expansion will add some of the most infamous characters and settings from the Warcraft® universe to World of Warcraft," said Mike Morhaime, president and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment®. "In addition to new story content, Wrath of the Lich King will introduce a number of features specifically requested by players over the past couple of years. We're looking forward to sharing further details with everyone as development progresses."

Players last visited Northrend in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne™, when Arthas Menethil fused with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King, one of the most powerful beings in the Warcraft universe. He now broods atop the Frozen Throne deep in Icecrown Citadel, clutching the rune blade Frostmourne and marshaling the undead armies of the Scourge. In Wrath of the Lich King, the forces of the Alliance and the Horde will venture into battle against the Scourge amid Northrend's howling winds and fields of jagged ice.

Building on the foundation established in World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King will add a rich variety of content to an already massive game. New features coming with the game's second expansion include:

* Death Knight Hero Class: Create a high-level Death Knight character -- the game's first hero class -- once certain challenges have been met.
* Increased Level Cap: Advance to level 80 and gain potent new talents and abilities along the way.
* Northrend: Explore the harsh new continent of Northrend, packed with new zones, quests, dungeons, monsters, and items -- and do battle with the undead armies of the Lich King.
* "Inscription" Profession: Learn this exciting new profession and gain unique ways to permanently enhance spells and abilities in the game.
* Siege Weapons and Destructible Buildings: Take the battle to another level with new player-vs.-player game mechanics and new battlefields to wage war on.
* New Character Customization: Change how characters look and express themselves, with different hairstyles and dance animations.

Since launching in November 2004, World of Warcraft has become the world's most popular MMORPG, with a subscriber base of more than 9 million players. The game's first expansion, The Burning Crusade, broke PC-game sales records in North America and Europe by selling nearly 2.4 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability and approximately 3.5 million copies in its first month. World of Warcraft is available in seven different languages and, in addition to North America and Europe, is played in mainland China, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

For more information on World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, please visit Blizzard's official website at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.WorldofWarcraft.com">http://www.WorldofWarcraft.com</a><!-- m -->. To keep pace with the continued growth of World of Warcraft as well as development on other Blizzard games, the company is currently hiring for numerous open positions -- more information on available career opportunities at Blizzard can be found at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://jobs.blizzard.com">http://jobs.blizzard.com</a><!-- m -->. ....

Source: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blizzard.com/press/070803-2.shtml">http://www.blizzard.com/press/070803-2.shtml</a><!-- m -->

*edit*

The new expansion's website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath">http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath</a><!-- m -->
Here's a liveblogging from BlizzCon link from WoWInsider, too:
http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/08/03/liv...emo-panel/
Yeay!

<.< >.>

Deathknights were not always my favorite Undead hero in WC3, I liked the Dreadlords better, but evil paladins with necromantic and warlock powers will be great, I mean AWESOME in WoW.

Seige Warfare and more Hero classes are something I really want to see very soon, especially the improved char customization.

Lockadins for ftw!

Edit:
Do'h! Zlinka beat me to the link.

And is there a topic in the WoW forums for a player suggestions page?
Is Warhammer out yet?
What is the best thing in life?
Crush enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
Tetsumis Wrote:Is Warhammer out yet?
Um...what? Confusedhock:

Tet said it all..
Most gaming-related sites are blocked by the base's filter...so, what's the projected release for this expansion?
Lhuurssa Wrote:what's the projected release for this expansion?

*snorts*

Despite their tendency to push back dates, I'm willing to bet that it will come out within a week of Warhammer.
Sound Wrote:

Tet said it all..
I remain confuzzled.
Sound Wrote:

Tet said it all..

Agreed.
Naruth Wrote:
Sound Wrote:

Tet said it all..
I remain confuzzled.
*ahem* WAR (Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning) is the Warhammer MMO that has yet to be released, and it's kind of depressing when people are asking about when to move to another MMO when they announce another expansion pack.

Granted, it's kind of annoying that they did announce the thing too early after BC, but it's too early for people to start asking about the other guy and depressing the overly-sensitive tauren.
Know that it's not the announcement of another expansion pack which is prompting it though, many of us have been talking about WAR for awhile now. While I was happy to bring this news (albeit a tad rushed) to the IST forms, a fair amount of us amongst your ranks are have been yearning for a change away from WoW long before the Wrath of the Lich King was announced.

I know dang well others are rather stoked for WotLK however.. so really, whatever makes you happy. :]
Sound Wrote:Know that it's not the announcement of another expansion pack which is prompting it though, many of us have been talking about WAR for awhile now. While I was happy to bring this news (albeit a tad rushed) to the IST forms, a fair amount of us amongst your ranks are have been yearning for a change away from WoW long before the Wrath of the Lich King was announced.

I know dang well others are rather stoked for WotLK however.. so really, whatever makes you happy. :]
Yeah, good point. WoW does tend to get tiring when somethings aren't fun anymore, unfortunately, I have only 1 70 that doesn't raid often, so I can't say I'm completely hung up on WoW.
I'm excited about it, Ronx.

Blizzard has said they plan to release a new expansion pack every year, so it's about time for them to start the marketing buzz over their next release. My guess would be some time next winter, like TBC.

I'm very intrigued by the new "Inscription" profession, myself. And of course, new levels and zones... with a beautiful stark Northern feel (pine trees and fjords) and the new Death Knight hero class. I'll be interested to see how the new hero character interacts with the old main.

Anyway, I've been reading the buzz and look forward to all the new stuff. We're paying Blizzard to come up with new content, and that's what they're doing Smile

-Zlinka
You should go over to the WoW Forums, Z, a lot of people are buzzing over how pathetic Blizzard is going about this and how they'll lose customers and how WotLK will break WoW, in fine detail even. Then there are the ones telling them that they are too stressed about it too early in single sentences.

Somebody with something good to say in detail would be a nice balance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Lich King is down and we got the whole thing on tape Kalisekhmet 5 2,853 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Kalisekhmet
  Lich King Down! Donalzon 6 3,542 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Zlinka
  Upcoming Lich King RP/story coordination 14 6,176 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Ill Will Press 3 2,357 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Wrath of the Lich King-Dalaran Ebberk 9 4,794 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Ronx