Troll/Night Elf relations
There's a page on the official WoW site that talks about Trolls being related to Night Elves. I am partially inclined to believe it because:

Trolls and Night Elves share very similar skin color types
They're ears are quite the same.
Besides the history of Night Elves and the Cenarion Circle, the only other race that dates back as far as Night Elves are the Trolls. It is believed that Night elves were the first race of humanoids to live in Azeroth. Azshara was such a being who became obsessed with the well of Eternity...okay, going off into other history now...
This would mean that, just as they came from Night Elves, Blood Elves would also be descendants of Trolls.
Blood Elf eyes used to be blue and glow just like the Night Elf eyes, but after the Sunwell was tainted, their eyes turned green (This has nothing to do with trolls, just thought it was cool to know. Troll eyes are orange/red anyway...and don't glow).

I'm assuming the changes came from evolution over the thousands of years. Night Elves show no signs of having tusks, or ever having them previously. Maybe they started with tusks and lost them because of their connection to the earth? I'm just rambling now.

Also, why DO Trolls have tusks? I mean, other than to sit there and look sexy...they must have some purpose. Maybe the average male jungle Troll, would use his tusks as a way to show he was dominate. Bigger tusks = more dominance, like male baboons who flash their fangs for the same reason. Or maybe they had tusk fighting competitions where you tried to stab out the other troll's eyes. I dunno, it's 1 AM and I need sleep.
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
What does any of this have to do with the greater movement of getting shoes for trolls?
[Image: 85443.png][Image: 85444.png]
I believe in WC3 it was stated (well, implied) that trolls, naga, and elves all shared a common ancestor.
Melikar a trolls "Skin Color" isn't really that apperantly jungle trolls have moss growing on their bodys which makes their skin look that color.....I have no idea what makes a Ice Trolls skin color.....
Bloodbound Wrote:Melikar a trolls "Skin Color" isn't really that apperantly jungle trolls have moss growing on their bodys which makes their skin look that color.....I have no idea what makes a Ice Trolls skin color.....

Ice growing on them? O_o
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
Actually, its the forest trolls that have the moss growing on them(mossflayer got the name for a reason). Jungle trolls are covered with a thin fur(see human body hair) that gives a greyish blue tint. Island trolls are the same as jungle trolls, so see description on that. Ice trolls are just blue skinned, nothing fancy described about their skin in the RPG that I remember except maybe for some light loam action. Dark trolls are just dark also, from lack of sun or something like that. They are rare enough not to warrant any real explanation >.<
The thing to remember when talking about elves back during the War of the Ancients is, while it may have been 14,000 odd years ago, it wasn’t really all that long in the minds of the Night Elves. There are still living some who fought in that battle (Tyrande Whisperwind and the brothers Illidan and Malfurion for example). Even those who may not have been alive at the time know the stories well enough to have a real visceral fear for the return of the Legion (roll a Draenei and go through the first few quests, there’s several Night Elf NPCs who mistake you for Eredar).

For the entire span of time between the War of the Ancients and the Battle of Mount Hyjal, the Night Elves were immortal. Their lives were tied to Nordrassil and with the blessing of Nozdormu they remained ageless and immortal. Looking at it that way, the elves were a species with a fixed population. They don’t die of old age; they probably don’t have many diseases or social ills (starvation and the like). If they reproduced like bunnies, they’d be up to their big long ears in offspring. And considering how much they seem to like open spaces and pristine nature, they wouldn’t have liked having a high population density.

Knowing that, we can deduce that not too many generations of night elf have passed since the War of the Ancients. If only a limited number of generations have passed, then evolutionarily the Night Elves are practically the same as they were 14,000 or more years ago. This makes sense when you consider the fact that those Night Elves who <i> were </i> alive at the time of the war look no different than any other of their race.

Phew. I got off on a tangent there, but the point I was going to make is, the trolls (if they did indeed spring from a common ancestor) broke off from the Night Elves long before the War of the Ancients. The Night Elves likely weren’t even aware that the trolls existed actually. Remember, their society was built up entirely around the edges of the Well of Eternity. The whole world spread out around that well, and elves knew only a tiny fraction. The Amani and Gurubashi Empires were at the height of their power a good 2000 years before the War of the Ancients.

High/Blood Elves on the other hand, arose after the cataclysmic sundering of the world. They sailed off to the East to set up their own civilization and dabble freely in magic. Not having immortality and the population controls associated their in, many generations passed. Evolution, aided by magical mutations changed them to the form we all know today.

As for troll tusks… well an interesting bit of trivia. Not all trolls have tusks. True fact. Way, way back in WC2 (the real time strategy game) there were two different classes of troll units. Troll Axethrowers had no tusks in their unit portrait, but their upgraded form Troll Berserkers did have tusks (small tusks, much smaller than the WoW models, if I had to guess I’d say about four or five inches). I’d love to get a screen shot of old school trolls to share, but I’m having technical difficulties. Yes, admittedly this is probably just a game mechanic, used to distinguish two types of units… but still it makes you think.
Coranda Wrote:I believe in WC3 it was stated (well, implied) that trolls, naga, and elves all shared a common ancestor.

The Know Your Lore column on WoWInsider agrees that naga, at least, are mutated elves. It also repeats the theory that elves came from trolls mutated by proximity to the Well of Eternity (that was its name, right?).