Talking like your old english and what not...
((I was recently going through some old screen shots and what nots, and I found this lil' gem. It was an encounter that I had with my alt (Odakota) and some other tauren, I met at the Thunderbluff Auction House. I had a short exchange with him before this took place, I forgot what it was, but he asked me to do something but I had to finnish my auctions....

[Image: BewareRPing.jpg]

Silly Cows Tongue))

~Marie
I love that using grammar and correct spelling was seen as speaking Old English.

I once had some newb who was asking me things tell me (as Tae) that I could "talk regulular" with him. I asked him which one of us needed tips on how we communicated and that was that.

Tae
"She is a soothsayer. She’s a mystic. She is a witch doctor, able to see into people’s hearts and minds. She’s also touched by the elements." -Naomie Harris
I had someone accuse me of being a nerd because I spoke in full and complete sentences.

It was really quite sad.

Another fun little bit, I actually heard someone mock someone for saying "lawl" as if "lol" was in fact a proper english word and the other party was saying it wrong.

And the wife doesn't understand why I refuse to raise children in this society.
Old English? Come on. Old English was Krigaren and I last night in AV. "Have at thee, gnomish knave!" "Prithee protecteth this bunker until it doth cap!"

Unfortunately, none of the PVP people took the bait. *le sigh*
"You can never run from trouble, 'cause there ain't no place that far." - Scissor Sisters, "Lights"
I hate stupid people.
That's funny.
I was told on my old RP server that I talk like "one of those night elf people", simply because I don't like to use abbreviations and try to spell things correctly (I fail a lot, but at least I try...).

So because I can express myself intelligently, I don't belong in the Horde? Ouch...

Stupid people make me sad. :cry:
Fanae Wrote:Old English? Come on. Old English was Krigaren and I last night in AV. "Have at thee, gnomish knave!" "Prithee protecteth this bunker until it doth cap!"

Unfortunately, none of the PVP people took the bait. *le sigh*

Bwahahaha, that was so much fun. Stinking non-elitist PvPers in that game ruined it for us!

And Verruckter, yah, I've had that same accusation. Back when I played PlanetSide and starting issuing world commands after reaching the highest command rank in full, complete and logical english, I was once asked, "y u talk like that?" I asked him why it mattered and he responded with, "lol its wierd"

*shrugs* Sometimes you just can't win.
[Image: 85443.png][Image: 85444.png]
Actually, this is Old English:

"Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon."

In modern English:

"Lo! We the Spear-Danes, in days of yore,
have heard of the glory of the people's kings
how the noble ones did deeds of valor."

Most of us just don't talk like idiots.
I read that as "Lol, we the spear-danes..."

Oh well. : )

Tae
"She is a soothsayer. She’s a mystic. She is a witch doctor, able to see into people’s hearts and minds. She’s also touched by the elements." -Naomie Harris
Zuipol Wrote:And Verruckter, yah, I've had that same accusation. Back when I played PlanetSide and starting issuing world commands after reaching the highest command rank in full, complete and logical english, I was once asked, "y u talk like that?" I asked him why it mattered and he responded with, "lol its wierd"

And talking like a living text message _isn't_? Sheesh.
"You can never run from trouble, 'cause there ain't no place that far." - Scissor Sisters, "Lights"
I don't even talk like that in my text messages.
Quote:I read that as "Lol, we the spear-danes..."

Phew, I'm not the only one.
Truth be told "[...] sometimes they drop the ring you seek." or something along the lines of "Indeed, the adventure was most unpleasant." is anything but conversational.

It might not be Old English, especially not to a Linguist, but it still makes whoever "speaks" like that sound like an arrogant *edited for vulgarity*. Next tim you're talking to your buddies in a conversational tone count your "Indeeds" and "Ayes". And tell me how often you use "most <insert>". Face it, You don't sound smart doing it, you sound like an *edited for vulgarity*.

Conversational Tone =/= Written Tone. But I am willing to ebte every single one of you will claim they use "Indeed" "Aye" and "most <whatever>" every day with normal people. Just make sure to not lie to your diary tonight. That'd be a shame.
"Just release me already! I've had enough!"
Quote:It might not be Old English, especially not to a Linguist, but it still makes whoever "speaks" like that sound like an arrogant prick.

I suggest you moderate your tone in the future if you wish to be a poster on this forum. Insulting our users is not tolerated here and your use of language is marginal as well. You are in violation of our Code of Conduct:

1. Be respectful. At all times. This is not optional.

2. No cursing or vulgarity (this refers to our guildchat but as you will see elsewhere on the site this is a Blizzard rule that applies generally and we do so as well).

I could go on but I don't think it's necessary. I'll also note that our Code of Conduct calls for written English skills. While we make allowances for younger players still learning or those for whom English is not their first language, in general we ask people to use their written communication skills. So yes, written communication =/= conversational English.

Shillatae
High Priestess of the Ironsong