Recipe Swap (RL Recipes!)
Have some great recipes you've concocted or received that you would absolutely love to share? Feel free to share your delectable treats and meals in this thread!
I believe it was Sound who brought this idea up about a week ago, but didn't believe it would be that popular. Therefore, I'm going to give this a test whirl and gauge popularity for a bit.
I just saw this, what a neat idea!

Here's what Sreng made tonight:

TrollStew!

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 large garlic cloves, minced
6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
I cup of Guinness beer
1 cup of fine red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Salt and pepper to taste. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)
------------------
I've also made this with miso and seitan instead of beef broth and beef. It's still yummy!
1 pack of instant ramen
1 cup of minute rice
2 cups water
small handful of sliced carrots
handful of chow mein

Put rice and water in pan, bring to boil. Break ramen in half and add both halves as well as the carrots to water. When ramen starts to get soft, reduce heat. When excess water is boilled off, pour into bowl and add chow mein. Let cool and enjoy.

Yeah, that's about the extent of my cooking experice, unless you want to hear my grilled cheese recipes.
Butternut Squash Soup

This is a recipe I have developed over several years. It is a homemade soup which, for me, captures the essence of fall and winter, a soup that warms the heart. When summer is over, when the clouds roll in and the rain comes down, it is time for bowl of butternut squash soup and a crusty warm loaf of bread.

I make this recipe a little differently each time, but here is the basic outline. You end up with a golden orange pureed soup with pieces of melted cheese at the bottom.

Vegetable Stock -- optional

I usually make my own soup stock from scratch, because it adds a delicous depth of flavor and can be customized for the particular soup recipe at hand. However, if I don't have the time, using vegetable broth will also work.

The basic idea behind vegetable stock is simple and improv, intertwined with making the soup itself.

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsly chopped
1 celery rib, coarsly chopped
2 bay leaves
Several thyme sprigs
4+ garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
8 parsley branches, including stems, or a handful of stems
Vegetable trimmings from the butternut squash soup (squash trimmings, parsley stems)
Additional herbs appropriate for the soup (in this case, use a few sage leaves)

Heat the oil over high heat and add the onion, carrot, and celery. While they are browning, peel and seed the squash for the main soup and throw the skin and seeds into the pot along with the bay leaves, thyme, parsley, garlic, and sage leaves. Stir every now and then. After about 10 minutes, add 2 teaspoons salt and 2 quarts cold water and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain immediately, reserving the broth and discarding the solids.

Butternut squash soup

1 butternut squash
olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 cup rice
leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
12 sage leaves, chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper
8 cups vegetable stock
1 cup milk
pinch of sugar
1 thick slice Fontina cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Chop the squash in half and clean out the seeds. Peel the squash. This step is a pain because the squash is very hard. I slice mine into big circles and then slice the skin off with a paring knife. Then chop the squash into 1 inch cubes. Reserve the seeds and skin for the stock (see above).

Pour some olive oil into a soup pot over medium heat, and when it is hot add the onions, celery, chopped sage leaves, thyme leaves, and parsley and saute until the onions have begun to brown, about 10 minutes.

Add the squash cubes, the rice, 1 1/4 tsp salt, and 8 cups of vegetable broth and bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the squash is cooked (soft when pierced with a fork), about 30-40 minutes.

Blend the soup in a blender (in batches) to make a puree and return it to the pot. Then add the cup of milk, a few tablespoons of olive oil on the top, a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper, and simmer it for 2-3 more minutes.

Place a handful of cubes of Fontina cheese in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle the soup onto the cheese. Let sit a minute to give the cheese time to melt, and serve.
Ah, I forgot to go to my Mom's this weekend to get recipes from her for here! I'll get 'em asap, and I'm glad this seems to be somewhat coming to life!
*blink* I posted that foreeeeeeeeeeeeeever ago. I don't know how it's been changed to being yesterday... But I think it might be a nudge from Kretol that I totally forgot to do what I said. :">

*ahem* When I see her again I'll remember - scout's promise!
I never really time or measure things, so it is hard to provide recipes. However, if you ever need ideas on how to liven up a meal with spices- I can turn any dish into an italian or cajun meal. We have a total of 9 shelves in our kitchen and 4 of them are nothing but spices and herbs.
Sound Wrote:*blink* I posted that foreeeeeeeeeeeeeever ago. I don't know how it's been changed to being yesterday... But I think it might be a nudge from Kretol that I totally forgot to do what I said. :">
*grins* Spot on!
Chicken Chilli Soup

1 kilo chicken breast (american conversion 1 pound)
olive oil
8 cups of water
2 cups of chicken stock
½ cup tomato paste
2 potatoes chopped
1 onion diced
1 cup of corn kernals
2 carrots
4 celery stalks diced
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of kidney beans
2 jalepenos
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup diced pimento
2 tspn cayne pepper
2 tspn cumin
salt
basil
oregano

Saute the chicken breasts in the oilive oil in a large soup pot over a high heat until cooked then put the chicken aside to cool chicken until it can be shredded into smaller pieces drain aways any excess juices .

Dab out the pot to remove any excess oil with paper toweling,however if ther is any chicken stuck to the bottom leave it.It adds a bit of extra flavour.

Add all remaining vegetables and spices and herbs into the pot add liquid and stock bring to boil and simmer on a low heat for four hours until reduced and slightly thickened, remember to stir occasionally!

If you want to make it a more heartier soup add two cups of rice and let the rice soak up the liquid alternativley serve it over cooked rice.

Also this is a great recipie for all the left over turkey from thanksgiving

This recipie has always gone down well with every one I know and as always it is a soup so serve with some fresh crusty warmed bread and butter

*~Amaran~*
Three and a half months later, I’m finally doing this. :”>

To keep up with the soup/stew theme we’ve got going on, I’ll post another. This was by far one of the most treasured meals we had growing up and I’ll always, always, always, always love this recipe. So freakin’ good.

Tortilla Soup

2 T. corn oil
3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 can plum tomatoes (15 oz)
3 t. cumin
2 qts chicken stock
salt and paper to taste

Garnishes:
4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 cooked chicken breast, diced
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 small onion, chopped

Directions:

In a saucepot, heat oil and add tortilla strips. Cook until crispy. Remove and set aside. In a food processor, place garlic, onion and jalapenos – mix and chop finely. Put chopped mixture into a soup pot and add the crisp tortillas. Simmer for five minutes. Add canned tomatoes and simmer for 15 more minutes. Stir in cumin. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and simmer until reduced by about one third. Now puree the soup mixture (a blender will work if need be) extremely well and until smooth. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. While the soup is in it’s various simmering stages, prepare the garnish.

Preheat oven to 350’. Place the tortilla strips to be used for garnishing onto a baking sheet. Bake until crisp – about 10-15 minutes. Place other garnishing ingredients into separate bowls for serving. When done, top a bowl of the soup with whatever of the garnishes you wish and enjoy!
This is what we call some really good "stick to your ribs" type food. Most excellent on cold winter days when you have been outside taking a lot of exercise. It is my Dad's recipe with a few refinements that me and my brother have made to it.

Note: I don't really have any formal training in cooking. So the recipe itself is a little free form, a lot of it is doing by taste and or eye.

Stuff !

1 lb. Ground Beef (Can substitute for veggie meat fir the Vegetarians)
2 cans Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 large green pepper, dice into bite size cubes
1 large cooking onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced into pieces
1 big handful of Bean Sprouts.
1 big handful of mushrooms, sliced.
3-4 cups uncooked Macaroni (Not sure how much, I kinda eyeball it based on how many I am feeding)
1 table spoon Garlic minced
1 table spoon Worchestershire sauce
1 table spoon Soya sauce
1/2 table spoon tobasco sauce (You can very this depending how much spice you like)

Directions;

In pan combine ground beef, onion, garlic, worchestershire sauce, soya sauce, and tobasco sauce, and brown over medium high heat. During the last 5 minutes or so of browning drain off any excess fat and then put in all your vegetables to let them soften up, try and not burn them.

Meanwhile boil macaroni in large pot until desired tenderness, drain water.

In the large pot combine mushroom soup into drained macaroni until well blended. Add beef and vegetables and combine until everything is well distributed together.

I like to give it a few minutes before serving to stand and let all the flavours blend really well together.

Enjoy.
Etsuko - Monk
Razzlixx Blingwell - Warlock
Cloudjumper Wildmane - Druid (Inactive)
Shepherd's Pie in the Hotel Room or on the road:
1 packet instant potatoes (Pick something buttery or garlicky, so that you don't have to buy spices. Do not buy something cheesy.)
1 packet frozen corn, no sauce (Green Giant, Simply Steam works well)
1 lb ground beef.
Heat corn in microwave (or whatever else is handy).
Make potatoes in microwave (or over the fire or whatever).
Brown beef in whatever's handy, such as a Foreman, stovetop, or fire.
Mix in a bowl. Enjoy. Serves one person for three or four nights.

My mom's summer juice:
1 can OJ concentrate
1 46 oz can pineapple juice
1 64 oz bottle cranberry juice
Mix three together in various containers, shake, drink.

To prove that I do know how to cook:
Blueberry coffee cake (We call it Blueberry Bramble)
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 lg egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup blueberries

In lg mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat until light. Add egg and beat well.
Sift together flour, powder, and salt. Add alternately with milk to first mixture. Beat until smooth. Fold in berries. Pour into greased 9"x9" pan.
Make a crumb topping by blending 1/4 cup soft butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 375° for about 35 minutes.
Mokimi's Delicious Addiction

2 pieces of brown bread
4 tbs of peanut butter (2 tbs per slice of bread)
add honey to taste

Enjoy!
Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

Slow-roasted tomatoes are the very essence of summer. Eating a roasted tomato is like eating bottled sunshine. And you can put roasted tomatoes in everything, and their addition elevates a simple dish to the sublime. You can lay them whole onto toast, with a little mozzarella, and eat them straight. You can cut them up and toss them with pasta along with their oil. You dice them with roasted vegetables and serve them on couscous or a slice of polenta. The possibilities are endless, and you can make them advance and pop them in the fridge and they'll keep for a while. I try to keep a bunch of them on hand in the summer and just throw them into dishes.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Storage: 1 week in the fridge, months in the freezer

Ingredients

3 Tablespoons plus 1 cup olive oil
4.5 to 5 pounds medium-large ripe tomatoes (e.g. beefsteak), stemmed but not cored
Salt
Granulated sugar
Scant 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3-4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves

Heat the oven to 350. My oven happens to be on the aggressive side, so I heat mine to 300. Line a 12 x 17 inch rimmed baking sheet or two 9 x 12s with foil. Don't use unrimmed sheets or the juices will drain out. If you have parchment, put a sheet down on the foil. Coat the pans with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Cut the tomatoes in half through the equator (not through the stem). Arrange the halves, cut side up, on the baking sheet, moving them around a bit to coat the bottoms with some of the oil. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and sugar on each of the halves, and each with with a few drops with a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Arrange the garlic slices over the halves and top them with a generous sprinkling of thyme leaves. Pour the remaining 1 cup of olive oil over and around the tomato halves.

Roast in the center of the oven until the tomatoes are concentrated, dark reddish brown (with deep browning around the edges an in places on the pan) and quite collapsed (at least half their original height; they will collapse more as they cool), about 3 hours for very ripe, fleshy tomatoes, about 4 hours for tomatoes that are less ripe or that have a high water content.

Let cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes and then serve warm or at room temperature. Make sure to reserve all that delicious oil in the bottom of the pan! You can use it on its own or in a vinaigrette.

Ideas for using the tomatoes:

* Cut a loaf of Italian bread into thin slices and coat lightly with olive oil. Broil in oven till slightly toasted, then add a tomato to each one and put it back in to warm up. Eat as is, or you can add a slice of mozzarella and melt it a bit before adding the tomato, or add a leaf of basil before serving, or a piece of prosciutto, to the top. Or spread a little pesto or tapenade on it.

* Grill several slices of summer squash (and eggplant, and red peppers if you are so inclined) coated with olive oil and a dash of salt. Dice several tomatoes + several pieces of grilled vegetables and heat with some olive oil and a half a cup of the tomato oil for a few minutes in a saute pan on medium heat. Optional: add diced prosciutto (saute it first to flavor the oil) and/or sliced kalamata olives to the medley. Serve the vegetable medley over grilled/broiled polenta or couscous or rice or toss with a short pasta like penne. Optional: add marinated, grilled, thinly sliced skirt steak to the very top -- about 1/4 lb per person.

* For a super simple meal, just toss diced tomatoes with some of their oil with some freshly cooked pasta. Drizzle a little olive oil on the top right before serving. Optional: add diced kalamata olives, grate some fresh parmesan on the top. You can build on this base to make an elaborate pasta dish, but the straight pasta + tomatoes is delicious on its own too.
Qaza's No-Bake Cookies

2 cups sugar
1 cube margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal

Combine sugar, margarine, cocoa, and milk; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, vanilla, and oatmeal. Mix well, make little heaps on wax paper in the size of your prefrence. Let set to cool and harden, or give into temptation and end up covered in chocolate/peanut butter/oatmeal.

You might be able to do this in non-chocolate form by omitting the cocoa and some of the sugar, but I've never tried...

Also. Yes, TWO cups of sugar. Feed to children at your own risk. Do not attempt to eat while wearing a mask.

And now: More health food.

Cracker Brittle
1 row saltine crackers
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 6 oz. package of chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Line a cookie sheet with foil, then butter it. Put crackers in a single layer, salty side up.

In a pan, bring butter and sugar to a boil, let is boil for 3 minutes, remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour mixture evenly over crackers, bake for 5-6 minutes at 350 degrees, remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the crackers.

Let stand until the chips get melty, spread the chocolate around with a small spatula, chill until firm, then break into pieces. Slightly easier to eat behind a mask, because it's flat.

The chocolate chips could most likely be replaced with something else, like peanut butter chips or semisweet chocolate.

And then there's...

Heari's Apple Stuff:
(Translated to avoid horrible kitchen accidents within the tribe)

Put cream cheese in a bowl. However much you feel like eating.

Add brown sugar and stir it in until the cream cheese is the same color as, say, a really froofy coffee drink.

Slice up an apple and dip it in the stuff. It's good!