Real ID taking over the WoW forums
Guess this means I won't be going on there anymore if it's implemented.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816838128&sid=1&pageNo=1">http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 1&pageNo=1</a><!-- m -->

stupidest thing I've ever seen
Yeah, screw that... not that I ever post there anyway.
[Image: IST_Noodle2_sm.jpg]
Good-bye Silver Hand forums. It was good while it lasted.
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
Somehow I'm not surprised at the replies asking if the Blizzard employees will have to follow the same rules, when it states it in the OP.
This is an awesome idea, I am glad Blizzard recognizes the forums are full of players that insult them and others or cry when they don't get what they want. Take the mask off and show us who they are so the forums can be a constructive and friendly place again...not Trade Chat.

-Matthew Bernhard Wilson (No one steal my identity!!! :? )
Eruadan Wrote:This is an awesome idea, I am glad Blizzard recognizes the forums are full of players that insult them and others or cry when they don't get what they want. Take the mask off and show us who they are so the forums can be a constructive and friendly place again...not Trade Chat.

So, of course, using your real name will make them stop and totally not punish people who do nothing wrong.

I'm all for a WoW forum name and when clicked show all your toons, but there is absolutely no point to use a real name. I am the only person in the whole world with my name, I don't want it advertised on what should be an anonymous gaming forum.
Thanuist Wrote:
Eruadan Wrote:This is an awesome idea, I am glad Blizzard recognizes the forums are full of players that insult them and others or cry when they don't get what they want. Take the mask off and show us who they are so the forums can be a constructive and friendly place again...not Trade Chat.

So, of course, using your real name will make them stop and totally not punish people who do nothing wrong.

I'm all for a WoW forum name and when clicked show all your toons, but there is absolutely no point to use a real name. I am the only person in the whole world with my name, I don't want it advertised on what should be an anonymous gaming forum.

I agree. And I know people have issues with other people knowing their real names. Some people have had to deal with stalking cases and whatnot before. And even though these things existed before the internet, the internet has just made it easier. There are people that play WoW to get away from the real world for a while and this doesn't help at all.

Phoro is a teacher for example. He doesn't want his students knowing what server/character he plays. That's just one example of many as to why Real ID is not such a great idea. I like it so I can talk with close friends while I'm on other factions, but that's it.
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
There are definitely pros and cons to this; several of which already being mentioned. It is a bit of a bane if you don't want folks to know you play, or know where you play. On the other hand, it does help deter the countless amount of trolls when they have to provide a real name.

Check out this article, which is one of my preferred reads.

A notable excerpt:
Quote:Not only were some of these posts insulting -- they also illustrated why requiring people to use their real name is of value to a web community. When people are forced to use their real name, they're held more accountable for what they say. The main benefit of this type of system is that you'll rarely find users posting derogatory comments and harassing others. On the other hand, when users remain anonymous, they're far more likely to make ridiculous comments such as "You need to get laid."

Again, though, I do agree in regards to privacy concerns for those that aren't trolls. We'll have to see if this truly is going to happen in the way they say, or if changes will be made.
Melikar Wrote:I like it so I can talk with close friends while I'm on other factions
Don't forget your close stalkers!

I guess I'll just never understand why they chose to use real names over a unique name associated with the account like... well pretty much everybody else.
I'm one of those people who dealt with a stalker-issue in the past. I won't go through that again, if I can help it.

I find it interesting that Blizzard has told us the importance of account security, and how we shouldn't give out any information to anyone, then make it so that if we want to be involved in the web community, that we have to give out important personal information.

And I don't want my real name broadcast to goldspammers either. You KNOW they'll be looking up names on the forums.
I don't know why people think it will deter trolls. It just opens up a new kind of trolling.

Poster A: "So I think the new raiding scheme is stupid and think Blizzard should change it."
Poster B: "Dear Poster A. I have took it upon myself to google your name. Apparently you like to smoke pot."
Poster A: "That's not even me! What are you talking about!?"
Poster B: "Says here that this John Doe likes to play WoW and last week he mentioned he smoked some pot."
Poster A: "But I live in Alabama!"
Poster B: "Yeah, right. Whatever you say. Get off my forums."
Poster A: *never posts again*
I don't know about you folk, but I've worked hard to keep my gaming persona (Lafinass pretty much anywhere not RP focused) separate from my real life. Gaming sites and communities don't get my personal email address, they don't get the AIM screen name I use with real life folk, it is highly unlikely that anyone could take 'Lafinass' and find any socially relevant information about me. Just as importantly no private citizen could take my real name and find out about Lafinass. I have friends of a good decade in the online world who don't know my real name or at least don't know my last name. I'm not about to give that up for the privilege of posting on the forums or having easier access to my friends on bnet.

And frankly, we all know just how immature a vast sub section of the internet is about female gamers. The slightest inkling that a gamer is female brings out the 'Show me your tits!' crowd. We all probably have female friends who don't use voice chat in games because of just such a reaction. How fair is it to them to say "If you want to use our forums, you have to advertise your gender."? And heaven help the volunteer VIP folk who will instantly become targets for deep google fishing.

Trolls are trolls and this comic pretty much sums my feelings up on that:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100707">http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100707</a><!-- m --> (NSFW Language)

/rant
The in game use didn't bother me that much. The system isn't searchable and with exception for extremely rare names there isn't really a serious threat there. The system isn't searchable or crawlable and without additional info the vast majority of names are nothing more than random monikers. Information would more or less have to come from a lapse on your own part or some unscrupulous acquaintances.

This new thing however I am less pleased with. It is searchable and Google will crawl it. This seems like a lapse in judgement. I'm not sure why an alias (with a the ability to click to display all characters) isn't being used instead.

I'll probably use the forums about as much as I ever did, but in my community my persona is as public as it gets anyway. I don't really care if the First Selectman knows I play WoW. He either answers my questions or he doesn't and I write the story I get from it. I have a similar policy with my facebook, "Yay, you found me. You're in my world now, deal with it or get out."

But for kids and stalking victims I feel bad. Really won't take much for someone to get a name (as a reporter I assure you, easy as a lightbulb heated oven bakes) and do a google search. Doesn't matter if there are 40 people up with that name, nut cases will just go through the list.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25968837163">http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 5968837163</a><!-- m -->

No more RealID on forums.
I'm glad to see that. I still don't understand what mental midget thought that would be a good idea. Whoever it was needs to consider a different career.