Question! Is Role Play Dead?
It says here that the last time I visited these forums was 08 February 2007. Sounds about right. That was the last time I played and the last time I walked with Ironsong. Long time.

Don't really remember why I left, busy I guess and both my sons were leaving about that time for various reasons. Did Warhammer come out about then?

Anyway, back (filling out an application to return to Ironsong) and every thing I've seen seems to say that role play is pretty much dead. One son who is playing says there isn't time in game for it and he may be right. It is all raiding and getting the armor you need to survive.

RP is why I play more than anything else.

What say you?

Stormsong/Gorgrot
Stormsong
Blood Elf Priest and Poet

Ignore the orc (Gorggrot) behind the curtain. Stormsong is the great and powerful main character.
Roleplay in public is very rare to see. Currently, many folks are also busy with progressing their characters mechanics-wise, so folks both in and out of the guild will probably be more focused on that for a bit.

Similar topics will tend to crop up from time to time, though usually on the official SH forum. Honestly, RP is what you make of it - what any of us make of it. I know that we still always have our moots on Thursdays, which is a prime opportunity for folks to partake in face-to-face RP. Othertimes during the week, it tends to happen more on forums or in chat channels (previously in guildchat, though currently in the Ironsong channel as we're testing some communication changes - you can read up on that in the News forum, if you haven't already).

Hope this helps a bit!
/bows
I am not sure it is my place to say anything as I am the newest of the Tribe however, I came to place my tankard and make a bed because the Tribe still does roleplay. As an old soul I miss RP, and it was that desire to be 'in' my character that brought me here.

Is RP dead? I do not think so. There will always be people who wish it to be part of their experience. Just like blacksmiths still make nails as more an artisan piece, we who choose to RP will keep the forge fires glowing with coal and bellows breath.

Nimmîr
Sorry for not have responded earlier, I've spent the evening marrying off Mizar. (Former Ironsong member too) He is on his way to CanCun so I can play.

Quote:Honestly, RP is what you make of it - what any of us make of it.

This is what I've decided as well as I've pondered this thought in a very long reception line. As such, I'll finish off my application.

I'm logged into IronsongRP so I'll see you there. Mostly as Stormsong as I get her firing and Efluvious teaches me the way of the Shadow Priest.
Stormsong
Blood Elf Priest and Poet

Ignore the orc (Gorggrot) behind the curtain. Stormsong is the great and powerful main character.
I'm so glad you asked this question. The firm answer is "Nope!"

Role Play dies when there is no one willing to participate in it.
We have many people who will gladly pick up a conversation in character. (As long as we are not busy in a dungeon trying to dodge rocks and blast waves.)

It is true that we lost a few ironsingers lately because they thought that roleplaying was dead in the guild, but the I beg to differ. (And to those who have left the guild due to this and may be reading this, ask yourself this: What did I do to contribute to RP?) The main reason why most of us are here in this Tribe is because it is a roleplaying guild...and we're the strongest RP guild out there on this server - meaning we can go into a dungeon and whoop some buttowski and get the guild achievement to show for it.

RP is like anything in life: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. We are the actors, and we are the audience.

Make a character who is interesting. Be sure to include things that will make your character shine and be sure to give your character a flaw. Who doesn't have a flaw or two? Would Superman be as interesting if he had no weakness? Would he be as interesting without Clark Kent? Would Garrosh be as interesting if he wasn't such a jerk? My point is, it is easier to roleplay (with) a character who has flaws than one who doesn't.

Everyone in this guild has a "character sheet" - That's the guild application.
Are you (you as in anyone reading this) the type of gamer who goes to the game but only rolls the dice and goes through the motions, or are you one of those gamers who has a character that everyone enjoys playing with, is the life of the party - so to speak. Just don't become so engrossed that you don't give anyone else a chance to showcase their character.

That's my two copper, and now I am broke.
Nimmîr Wrote:/bows
I am not sure it is my place to say anything as I am the newest of the Tribe however, I came to place my tankard and make a bed because the Tribe still does roleplay. As an old soul I miss RP, and it was that desire to be 'in' my character that brought me here.

Is RP dead? I do not think so. There will always be people who wish it to be part of their experience. Just like blacksmiths still make nails as more an artisan piece, we who choose to RP will keep the forge fires glowing with coal and bellows breath.

Nimmîr

This is a wonderful way to put it. I've always held a love for RP, though there have been many time's I've 'switched off' due to an unavailability of people to RP with. I think if we make ourselves available to people who, like I was, want to RP but don't really know how to go about opening up that avenue themselves, we'll be helping out more than just our guild.

Thank you all, by the way, for allowing me to become a part of your tribe. I've seen you all around since the day I joined WoW and always felt that even the folks who do not RP love and respect the name Ironsong. I'm just glad to be a part of this tribe and to be RPing again! *hugs*