Potential new forum?
So, I was looking around for potential new solutions for an internet presence for a few reasons. One place I've been testing is over at wowstead. The nice thing about guild sites is that there's greater integration between the game and online, and more features useful to a WoW guild. A bad thing is that there's not as much control over the site, and there are also some limits for those who don't pay for premium features. One such limit is attachments (I think each person can attach a total maximum of 5MB, which is paltry). Another is a limit for the Gallery (it's 500mb for premium, and... I think 20-50mb for free). Therefore, any 'gallery' used would have to be forum-based, with each image being hosted off-site at a free webhost like imageshack or the like.

Anyway, please feel free to take a look at http://ironsong.wowstead.com. I don't like the inability to customize the theme very much, but being able to control permissions strictly based on guild rank is very nice. People could authenticate themselves once their character is verified on their user account, and they'd automatically get forum access.

Another bad thing is any threads we wish to keep would have to be moved over manually. Then again, a lot of threads probably wouldn't need to be kept, or I could move them over to an archival site or the like. Please let me know what you folks think.
Whats with this need for a Curse Login?
Eruadan Wrote:Whats with this need for a Curse Login?

"WowStead is now a part of the Curse family."

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://quintessential.wowstead.com/forums/public-forums/quintessential-tavern/124609-wowstead-joins-curse-family">http://quintessential.wowstead.com/foru ... rse-family</a><!-- m -->
Would my login only be associated with that particular forum? Or can I access any guild forum with a Curse account?
The new site looks functional. I personally feel like the forums are in need of a good purging anyways. Is there a reason that you think we need a new site? Is premium membership a subscription or one time fee?
-Donalzon

“He lives not long who battles with the immortals, nor do his children prattle about his knees when he has come back from battle and the dead fray.”

Homer, The Iliad
Eruadan Wrote:Would my login only be associated with that particular forum? Or can I access any guild forum with a Curse account?
I believe any forum on wowstead would be accessible using a Curse account.
Donalzon Wrote:The new site looks functional. I personally feel like the forums are in need of a good purging anyways. Is there a reason that you think we need a new site? Is premium membership a subscription or one time fee?
Premium membership is, unfortunately, subscription-based. However, there's nothing absolutely integral that comes with it. The four big features with it include syncing with a raid tracker addon (loot, raids, and attendance), event planning via the site, a few premium themes, and full CSS customization.

Regarding events, it can sync based on any character's armory calendar feed (I have it set to mine, currently). So, as long as we either use guild events or guild announcements, it will be visible on the site calendar. You would just have to use the in-game calendar to respond (or log in to the armory and respond that way). Premium would simply remove a step and enable characters to sign up on the site.

Raid tracking probably wouldn't be wholly useful, considering DKP isn't a factor. If anything, we could continue using the subforum for Open Raiding if you wanted to post attendees and loot received.

One of the reasons I believe a new site is ideal is to have something new for Cataclysm. That, and I know Thurga has been meaning to change hosts. This may help make the decision easier, and could potentially cut back on costs depending on what plan he's intending on getting for his other sites as well. Not only that, but should I ever go inactive, Sreng or the officers should have more control over the site so that my meddling isn't absolutely required.
Furthermore, the greater integration between in-game and site is pretty cool. Wink
Kretol Wrote:One of the reasons I believe a new site is ideal is to have something new for Cataclysm.

You wouldn't necessarily need to switch to a whole new system for that. Now, if you are needing a new host for technical reasons then I understand. However, the current site is probably fine with a few changes.

1. I 'm not sure why, but I frequently get "host not found" type errors when accessing the site... like it's on a dynamic DNS that keeps changing or something. Happens every couple days.

2. Forums need organization/culling. Known issue, I know. Smile

3. Visually clean up the css/art for a more cohesive design. Make it look "new".
[Image: IST_Noodle2_sm.jpg]
I am currently not liking that my Username is already taken....
Eruadan Wrote:I am currently not liking that my Username is already taken....
The good thing about this is that your username isn't what you use to post by. You first associate a character (ideally your main) with your account, and then your character name will be the one you post by. For instance, my username on there is not Kretol.
Kretol Wrote:
Eruadan Wrote:I am currently not liking that my Username is already taken....
The good thing about this is that your username isn't what you use to post by. You first associate a character (ideally your main) with your account, and then your character name will be the one you post by. For instance, my username on there is not Kretol.

Ahhhhh, ok. That will work better then.
I'd have to agree with Noddle, I don't really see a need for a new forum... It almost seems like it would be more work than its worth, to move all of the important threads that we have (I.e. prospective peons and all the application archives that are used for examples).

I also think it would cause some of confusion, if some people didn't get the message to change forums, such as, people outside the guild, or members that don't browse the forums frequently, etc.
[Image: 3994085VvROm.png]
Well, I don't believe there would be a whole lot of important threads to port over. Also, people getting the memo wouldn't really matter, because I can easily close down the current forums or simply have ironsong.com redirect as necessary.

(Posted via my phone)
I noticed this yesterday, but the new forum site can be painfully slow. I am assuming this is because Wowstead recieves a LOT more traffic than our very own Ironsongtribe.com which has its own occasional issues but is still relatively quick itself.