OOC- D&D online
Stress test for that started yesterday ,just sighned up today and got in through file planet. So gonna give it a try .

Saltin
Saltin (mage 375tailor ,375 enchanter)
Lucrenda (Rogue 375miner ,352 smith)
Asaram (Hunter 375skinner 351 leatherworker)
Pahakan (Warrior 350herbs 375alchemy )
Mantiki (Shaman 355miner 363engineer)
Hoti (Warlock 190Miner 350 jeweler)
Have Alt Will Travel
((I'd be very curious to see how it is; how close it sticks to the pencil-n-paper version, etc.))
Dungeons and Dragons as presented by wizards of the coast lost much of its appeal to me. The third edition took a stand that numbers were more important than flavor. Something i'll never forgive them for. So I think i'll skip this particular title till I hear more about it.

Craig,
Former D&D nerd.
Second edition was all about numbers as well Craig...at least in my opinion. Give Exalted or Earthdawn a spin if you want to see fantasy done right =p

I downloaded the client for D&D online, but unfortunately neither Malila or I was given the beta code upon downloading so we can't get in. I am really curious to see exactly how this game is put together...
(In terms of character creation... It's almost exactly like 3E. "Here's a bunch of numbers with little to no actual explanation of what they do since we assume you've all been playing this game since you were a fetus in your mother's womb. Now min-max until your fingers bleed."
In terms of combat, it's... Odd. Shields are currently absurdly useful, as is maneuvering during combat. I was literally able to solo missions that were supposed to require whole groups simply by using blocking and strafing to avoid attacks. However... It's slightly infuriating, because there is collision during combat and the mobs have a tendancy to surround you, dealing extra damage with flank attacks. This gets really tired, really quickly.
Also, almost everything past the little intro portions of the game is geared towards a decent sized group, so good luck soloing.
In my opinion, it's a decent game... If you've got a group of friends to play with.)
Earthdawn's system gave me a headache when I perused it; haven't really looked at Exalted.

As to the flanking thing - it's part of the combat system in 3E DnD, so it's nice to see it implemented. Hopefully it won't be easily exploitable.
(The flanking system makes it effectively impossible to solo more then two mobs at once. Ever. No matter what you do, they will box you in and rip you apart. However, if you're a shield-using class then soloing any one non-caster mob is so simple it's amazing. Shield block gives you a slight bonus to AC that makes it almost impossible for a mob to land a melee hit on you from the frontal arc. So I guess it balances out. Somehow. Maybe.)
Damoxian Wrote:Dungeons and Dragons as presented by wizards of the coast lost much of its appeal to me. The third edition took a stand that numbers were more important than flavor. Something i'll never forgive them for. So I think i'll skip this particular title till I hear more about it.

Craig,
Former D&D nerd.

On a similar note...

I just got the Player's Handbooks and DM's guide for Christmas, and they're both 3.5. I've never played D&D before, but I've always wanted to try it... so, my question is: If not 3E, what should I start with if I want to get into it?
((I love my D&D when it's very basic. I played it when the first edition was the ONLY edition [yes, I'm that old] and fell in love with it. If you could find the very first module, "The Keep on the Borderlands" on EBay or a yardsale, pick it up. It's a wonderful introduction to the game and will lead you to the marvelously deep and rich "Temple of Elemental Evil". I played some Second Edition ruleset modules and enjoyed them, but rebelled a bit because of the new implementations. Specialization was a neat idea, but I had a hard time getting the hang of it. And, personally, I liked the game when it was more simplistic. It's easier to focus on roleplaying and, as a DM, telling a great story.

*roles his D20* Woohoo! Crit! *re-rolls his D20* Is that double or triple damage?

Anyway, I miss the old days of D&D, but am thankful that it ultimately led to the creation of WoW!))