Net Neutrality
(( Long but important to us internet loving types ))

Normally I am not involved in politics of any kind. Congress makes its stupid decisions and I generally just ignore them. Elections leave me shaking my head because I feel like I am choosing the lesser of two evils as opposed to a qualified canidate.

In high school I was in debate and hyper-politicized. I analyzed every goverment action and got involved in a lot of it, burning myself out with frustration because I couldn't change anything. I was the guy shouting about random issues all the time that no one paid attention to. Finally I gave up. It was more hurtful to be aware of wrongdoing and unable to do anything about it than to be blissfully ignorant.

However, I just stumbled across this information regarding lobbying from ATT and other bigwigs trying to thwart network neutrality. Now this has gotten me all worked up again into one of my anti-corporate frenzies... Yes. I'm a stereotype and yes this isn't a *new* issue, per se.

Anyways: This is about Internet freedom. "Network Neutrality" -- the First Amendment of the Internet -- ensures that the public can view the smallest blog just as easily as the largest corporate Web site by preventing Internet companies like AT&T from rigging the playing field for only the highest-paying sites.

But Internet providers like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast are spending millions of dollars lobbying Congress to gut Net Neutrality. If Congress doesn't take action now to implement meaningful Net Neutrality provisions, the future of the Internet is at risk.

On June 8, the House of Representatives passed the "Communications Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement Act of 2006," or COPE Act (H.R. 5252) -- a bill that offers no meaningful protections for Net Neutrality. An amendment offered by Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), which would have instituted real Net Neutrality requirements, was defeated by intense industry lobbying.

It now falls to the Senate to save the free and open Internet. Fortunately, Sens. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) and Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) have introduced a bipartisan measure, the "Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2006" (S. 2917), that would provide meaningful protection for Net Neutrality.

On June 28, the Snowe-Dorgan bill was introduced as an amendment to Sen. Ted Stevens' (R-Alaska) major rewrite of the Telecom Act (S.2686) [now HR.5252]. The committee split down the middle on the measure, casting a tie vote of 11-11.

This is still an ongoing issue, though the corporate side is losing momentum and support. Get out there and protect your internet! Shout at your senators and burn bags of dog poo on Sentator Ted Steven's doorstep!

There's a website out there that will find your senators for your state and send your email (or their form email) to them. Practically all you have to do is hit send :wink:

Rawr I'm mad! :evil:
(( Thank you, Efluvia.

This is an issue that is extremely important to the daily lives of so many people, but I worry that too few are aware that Net Neutrality is at risk. You are wonderful to post such informative details in regard to it here, as well as providing us with a link to the petition. I happily signed it!

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please act immediately to save the Internet. Net Neutrality is a real issue that must be protected!
Giving large corporations dominance on the internet would aversely affect the learning, business and recreational activities of Americans everywhere.
Our country has a great history of entrepreneurship. Please support Net Neutrality to encourage freedom for all!
Thank you kindly for your time.

Hooray! I feel empowered. Look what you did, Flu!!!!!!! ))