Elerethe Renferal Nutshell Guide
Elerethe is a two-phase fight, in which Elerethe will swap between a Spider form (which lasts 90 sec) and a Roc form (120 sec).  The fight takes place on as many as three different platforms.  She will change platforms during every Roc form.

QUICK QUICK OVERVIEW

SPIDER PHASE:  Avoid the eggs.  She goes up into the web, drops adds on them, tanks pick them up (taking turns) and the raid kills them (they drop a void zone), then she tries to ambush someone -- everyone get out of that warning ground effect.  If you get Necrotic Venom, take your void zones out of the raid and drop them safely (in the same spot).  If you're chained, stay close to each other (within 20 yards).

ROC PHASE:  After she transforms, stack in the cubby and heal through Gathering Clouds (if you have Necrotic Venom, don't stack with the raid).  Tanks and healers pick up feathers and use them to jump to the next platform, insta-killing spiders on the bridge if they can.  Everyone else runs to the new platform (the old platform will have a lightning storm on it which forces everyone to move).  Once on the new platform we DPS her.  Tanks face her away due to a frontal cone (Razor Wing), nobody but the current tank should be in front.  Tanks swap after Raking Talons.  If you get the tornado debuff, use it to disperse void zones for 10 seconds then drop your tornado away from the raid.

ROLE-BASED SUMMARY

TANKS
* Spider form:  take turns tanking Spiderlings to manage Dripping Fangs debuff
* Roc Form:  taunt Elerethe after Raking Talons
* Pick up a feather to speed your way to the next platform

HEALERS
* Heal players connected with Web of Pain
* High damage during Gathering Clouds and Dark Storm.  Pay special attention to players with Necrotic Venom

DPS
* Roc Form:  if targeted by tornado, disperse void zones
* Kill Venomous Spiderlings

EVERYONE
* Spider Form:  place void zones in the same place as everyone else
* Don't run over egg sacs
* We will bloodlust after a transition

MORE DETAIL:

ADDS

Elerethe summons two types of adds:
* Skittering Spiderlings spawn from egg sacs present on every platform, which hatch when a player runs into them.  These are small adds that need to be killed.
* Venomous Spiderlings spawn (a) after Elerethe casts Feeding Time in Spider form, and (b) when she changes platforms in Roc form.  These need to be tanked, and they apply a stacking debuff.  When they die, they drop a void zone.

SPIDER FORM

When in Spider form, Elerethe has several abilities:
* Feeding Time: she casts this twice.  This is a two-part ability.  First, she'll ascend into her web, and from there she will send numbers Venomous Spiderlings to descend and attack the raid.  Second, she will choose a random target and drop onto them from above in a Vile Ambush, which deals , massive damage + a knockback to that player and anyone nearby.
--> Tanks need to pick up the Venomous Spiderlings and the raid must AoE them down.
--> Players need to GET OUT of the green AoE indicating where the Ambush will occur.

* Venemous Pools (poison void zones).  These will spawn where Venomous Spiderlings die (and will remain in the Roc phase).

* Necrotic Venom debuff:  Debuff applied to random raid members.  After 10 seconds it starts to do damage and drops a Venomous Pool at every pulse.  

* Web of Pain:  links multiple raid members.

ROC FORM

Shortly after transforming, Elerethe does the following sequence of events:
* Gathering Clouds, which deals raid-wide damage and pushes players back for 8 seconds.
* She casts Shimmering Feathers:  feathers appear on the platform which grant players jump height and no fall damage, and the ability to instal-kill the Venomous Spiderlings that spawn on the bridge to the new platform.
* Then she casts Dark Storm:  Lightning Storm that appears on the platform Elerethe is LEAVING.
* She flies to a new platform
* She spawns tornadoes with Twisting Shadows.  She will target random raid members with a debuff, and for 10 seconds the targeted player can run over Venomous Pools to disperse them.  After 10 seconds a tornado will spawn at their location.
* And she spawns Venomous Spiderlings on the bridge to the new platform.
* Lastly, she has a frontal cone, Razor Wing.
* And an anti-tank ability, Raking Talons, which requires a tank swap.

STRATEGY

POSITIONING
* Tank Elerethe close to the natural walls on each platform.
* Tanks pick up and the Venomous Spiderlings, raid AoEs them down

SPIDER FORM
* Watch for Vile Ambush -- once the area effect appears GET OUT OF IT
* Targets connected with Web of Pain should remain within 20 yards of each other.
* Targets with Necrotic Venom move away from the raid and drop pools in an unused area

ROC FORM
* There is a small cubby on each platform where the raid should stack for Gathering Storm
* Players with Necrotic Venom should NOT stack with the raid
* Tanks and healers should pick up the feathers so they can travel quickly to the next platform
* Everyone else promptly leave the platform
* Raid members that pick up a feather can freely jump on top of the Venomous Spiderlings that spawn on the bridge, AND Skittering Spiderlings.
* During Roc Form, only the current tank should be in front of Elerethe
* If you get targeted by Twisting Shadows, run over the void zones to disperse them until your tornado spawns.

HEALERS:
* Save healing cooldowns for Roc Form

* Best to use Bloodlust right after a transformation, when there will be a lull in abilities which lets us focus on the boss.
Thought about our current pinch point -- the platform transitions -- a little. Given our usual number of warlocks, we might want to look at using the Warlock portals to entirely bypass spider eggs and tornadoes on the bridges. I believe the debuff from portal use will have worn off before the next transition. This should greatly improve the ability of the raid to handle those platform transitions.
Awesome summary.

Here is a video I watched which gives a good explanation of the fight.  Unfortunately, this fight is not a simple DPS race and it has a ton of mechanics going on.  One mistake can cause major raid issues.

Elerethe Renferal Youtube video

-Kern
(10-14-2016, 03:33 PM)Tempestmoon Wrote: Thought about our current pinch point -- the platform transitions -- a little. Given our usual number of warlocks, we might want to look at using the Warlock portals to entirely bypass spider eggs and tornadoes on the bridges. I believe the debuff from portal use will have worn off before the next transition. This should greatly improve the ability of the raid to handle those platform transitions.

Okay, so if I'm understanding your idea correctly, that would mean one of the 'locks plopping a gateway down on one side, grab wings and head to the other side, plopping gateway down - so anyone who misses wings can just gateway over.

Brilliant.
Batrapha, Batnissi, Batolam, Batel, Batya, Batjireh, Batshammah, Batraah.

Yes, I AM batty.
(10-17-2016, 08:44 AM)Barbdreams Wrote: Okay, so if I'm understanding your idea correctly, that would mean one of the 'locks plopping a gateway down on one side, grab wings and head to the other side, plopping gateway down - so anyone who misses wings can just gateway over.

Brilliant.

The warlock gates are placed "both sides at once" -- if you haven't cast it yet, give it a shot anywhere. Basically the place you're standing is one gate, and the other gate is where you target. They last a decently long time (several minutes), so the idea is before the pull, warlocks go place gates, one on each web bridge (or with fewer warlocks, possibly one runs ahead a bit and places one mid-fight if we need it for later bridges).
Yeah, I've played around with it once or twice but not often - I've seen Kern use it. I wonder if we can target all the way across a bridge - but this is a really good idea if we can make it work.

Yes, I AM batty.
So, I was playing around with the gateway a bit last night - doesn't look like the range is anywhere near long enough to get across a bridge - maybe halfway. But, they have to be placed carefully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKE8mFIrfI

Yes, I AM batty.
Hi all,

Okay, it definitely seems like the transition between the platforms is our weak spot in the Elerethe fight.  Fighting the spider and roc versions of the boss aren't that hard -- it's moving between the platforms that's problematic.  Here are the challenges:

* Players must pick up feathers and jump to the next platform.
* For those that don't get feathers:
- Get off the initial platform before taking too much damage from the storm.
- Make the jump onto the lower bridge without falling off.
- Avoid the tornadoes on the upper bridge.
- Handle the spiders that spawn on the bridge.
- Regroup on the new platform and engaging the boss.

Here are some ideas for smoothing out the transition:

* Warlock Portal strategy:  As Kern and Bat said above, use portals to teleport players across.  Suggested placement is to place the portals *before* the fight -- situate one portal on the lower bridge, and the next portal on the edge of the second platform.  When it's time to move, players drop down to the lower bridge and take the portal.  May want to keep a healer on the lower bridge until every is over.

* Controlled crossing: Jump to the lower bridge, regroup, wait for the first tornado, move, wait for the second tornado, then get to the second platform.  This strategy emphasizes control over speed.

* Don't kill the spiders on the bridge.  This leaves dangerous void zones.  Better to kill them on the far platform, away from the bridge.  Note:  can have a tank pick the spiders up, drag them to one side, and then have them stomped from the air.  Players crossing over should stay rather near the tank so any spiders that aggro on them can be easily picked up and squashed in one stomp.

* Have a backup third tank ready to handle the bridge spiders, which leaves the regular two tanks free to pick up and taunt the boss on the second platform.

* Boss & Spider feather squad:  Use feathers to send a boss-and-spider squad over.  I've seen a number of suggestions for the composition of this squad:
(1) Spider squad: squad of 1 tank, several DPS, and a few healers, who pick up spiders from and kill them to the left of the bridge.  Tornadoes go on the right side so this leaves a way clear in between.
(2) Boss and Spider Squad: 1 tank who engages the boss, several DPS to handle the spiders, and a healer to keep them up.
(3) Hunter team:  1 tank who grabs the boss, several healers who can start healing everyone from the other side, 2 hunters who leave 5 seconds after the raid, who barrage and misdirect spiders in midair.
(4) Tank team:  send both tanks over, one to grab the boss and the other to grab spiders.
(5) Healer strategy:  have the most mobile healers run over, and the least mobile ones use a feather.
(6) Warlock Portal Squad:  send the warlocks over to place portals.

We've got a good set of strategies we can combine here:  warlock portals, controlled movement across the bridge to avoid the tornadoes as a backup crossing plan, killing the spiders (a) by misdirecting, shooting, and stomping them from air AFTER the raid has passed, or (b) gathering them up on the far side away from the bridge and stomping them from the air (with the possibility of using a third tank to pick them up).
In addition to the "Boss and spider group grab feathers and head over" strategy I heard from someone who completed this on normal a nice strategy for what to do with the non-feather group:

* Non-feather group stays with a tank and mobile healer. Does not rush across bridge. Does not kill spiders on bridge.
* Safely across bridge adds are now tightly grouped on second tank
* A feather user should try to 1-shot the entire spider group to free everyone up. Mop up and rejoin the first group.
~ Zoopagoo
Amazing job last night, all! Wowza!

I wanted to mention that I was not spider team or feather team but accidentally got a feather (they spawned on top of me) and managed to 1-shot stomp two spider groups from the air. Oops! So, that's a very doable strategy.  No real need to have a dedicated group to kill them via that silly slow weapon dps  method.  Angel
Nganga Nyeusi
He is fast and is the danger.
What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Argus nutshell guide Zlinka 2 3,797 05-31-2018, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Zlinka
  Aggramar Nutshell Guide Zlinka 3 5,230 05-29-2018, 12:13 PM
  Coven of Shivarra Nutshell Guide Zlinka 2 3,514 05-21-2018, 06:40 PM
  Varimathras Nutshell Guide Zlinka 2 4,083 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM
  Imonar nutshell guide Zlinka 2 4,358 03-29-2018, 12:39 PM