Drain Tanking?
I have seen a number of references to Drain Tanking, but no clear description of what it is. I suspect that it is similar to the EQ way a Necromancer used lifetap to tank mobs, but was hoping one of you could provide a clear description for me?
Etsuko - Monk
Razzlixx Blingwell - Warlock
Cloudjumper Wildmane - Druid (Inactive)
Sorry Cloud, we weren't very descriptive. Basically.. Or the order I always did it on Vyth with the spells she had then: I would open up with a Shadowbolt, hit it quickly with what insta-dots (I’m assuming you’ve got improved corruption) and a curse (I always went with agony), then proceed to use drain life on the mob until its dead. It's going to be hitting you, hence the drain as you tank statement. And if you can manage as you go along to throw in a life tap to get some mana back for the next pulls ahead and drain more life from it to make up from what you just took away, even sweeter.

I realize purposely having a mob hit you and not your pet, ect., probably seems silly to you as a cloth wearing class. It works wonderfully however.

As for the best pet out to have when drain tanking, I'd assume it would be the one who deals the most damage at that level. I always went with my succubus (hopefully you have it :] ), but numbers wise I was never really sure which the best was. Make Tet answer this. :p
I use my imp personally. And I start him going while I'm still dumping my dots on. With all the dots on my life drain pulls the aggro off the imp right away. Generally, with melee mobs they are 3/4 dead by the time they start hitting me. I leave most 1 on 1 fights with 100% health and 90% mana. Almost no downtime.

I honestly don't remember the last time I used my shadowbolt.
Thanks for the info. I gave this a try last night, and never really seemed to do that well. Even against green cons I would end up being down to about half health and mana. I am only level 21 now, so would it be that maybe I don't have the higher level spells to do the proper job?
Etsuko - Monk
Yeah, your level is too low for this to be effective.

Mostly you need Fel Concentration maxed, but to be effective you also really need Improved Life Tap and Soul Siphon.

You should be much better at drain tanking by 24.

Edit: All of this talk of drain tanking has me itching to actually log into WoW. Maybe I'll update my addons and give Azeroth some more Affliction goodness. Need to go see L70ETC anyway.
Sound Wrote:As for the best pet out to have when drain tanking, I'd assume it would be the one who deals the most damage at that level. I always went with my succubus (hopefully you have it :] ), but numbers wise I was never really sure which the best was. Make Tet answer this. :p
I used different pets while leveling up, depending on the situation. Any can be useful. But soon as I hit level 40 and got Dark Pack, I went Succubus, turned off all her ability's, and turned her into my walking mana battery and didn't use her own mana for any reason.
What is the best thing in life?
Crush enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
Also it should be noted Cloud, as a warlock who's questing/grinding mobs, I can quite often enter fights at half health or mana. We can drain life from mobs before they even reach us, allowing us to top ourselves off. Its a wonderful thing and unless your actually dieing/using pots, something to not be afraid of.
Crush enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
Drain tanking still comes in handy now and again. *cough* Netherspite *cough*
"Passion and shame torment him, and rage is mingled with his grief."

~Virgil~
[Image: playerfeed_1902018_bigsig.gif]
Yes, but it doesn't save me when he decides 'Oh hay, that warlock look tasty' 1000+ heals from Siphon every second aside..
true. lrn2 wear a shield and drainlife all at the same time!

~Virgil~
Regarding multi-mob pulls. I was wondering if the health feed from something like Siphon Life stacks if you have it working on mutiple mobs at the same time?
Etsuko - Monk
It does. you can have siphon life on as many targets as you want and all of them drain their life and give it to you, which is why warlocks in the BGs are so fun to play.

~Virgil~