Dragon Soul 1/6/12
We will start raiding Dragon Soul on JANUARY 6, 2012, at 7:30 p.m.

This will be a Dragon Soul 10-man, normal difficulty. We are currently constructing the roster. If you want to commit to the raid, contact Oryx.

To be ready, between now and January 6th gear yourselves up in the new 5-mans until you reach at least ilevel 372. Buy 378 gear with Justice Points, pick up some 5-man 378 drops, and get some of the new 397 Valor Point items. Gem, enchant, and polish everything.

Here's a guide to gearing up in 4.3.

Oryx and I are running in the new 5-mans most evenings starting at about 7:30 server time, along with Anca, Shantow, and Sevdrith. We would be delighted to have other people join us! Just ask!

Once you reach iLevel 372 I encourage you to jump into LFR Dragon Soul to get a feel for the Dragon Soul fights and gear up further.

Deathwing, your days are numbered. Ironsong is coming for you!

-Zlinka
(12-05-2011, 09:26 AM)Zlinka Wrote: Once you reach iLevel 372 I encourage you to jump into LFR Dragon Soul to get a feel for the Dragon Soul fights and gear up further.

I tried out the LFR feature last night. I kinda got thrown in there and for the first 4 bosses, it took about an hour. Because the raid is split into two parts it allows you to spread out what you want to do and when. I highly recommend you get in there at least once or twice and do as much of it as you can, it will give you great insight to the boss fights when it comes to the real raid. I also suggest you read the abilities of the bosses in the Dungeon Journal as well.
Excellent advice!

Oryx, Shantow, Anca, Sevdrith, Eruadan and I have jumped into the LFR raid a couple times now. A couple notes:

* You need ilevel 372 in your inventory to queue for the raid.

* The loot that drops is iLevel 384 -- better than what you can get from the new 5-mans / Firelands / Justice Point gear (378). Not as as good as Dragon Soul Normal or Valor Point gear (397).

* You can queue as a party -- or as a raid! Last night we had 6 people interested so we formed a raid, jumped in, and played within the larger PuG group. You can make a raid with up to 25 people.

* As Eru said, the raid dungeon is broken in half, and each half takes about an hour. On the first night we did the first four bosses in an hour, with no wipes. On the second night it took about an hour and a half with one wipe because the raid was short on healers. After that we waited until more healers joined then blasted through the rest of the raid.

* You are allowed to loot each boss once per week. But you can raid the dungeon as many times as you like -- you just won't get to roll on the loot that drops on subsequent runs (you'll see a box with the list of dropped loot, with a red X over each item showing you can't roll on it). Nor can you accept these items in trade.

* The LFR raid drops tier tokens for set items whose set bonuses are the same as those in Normal and Heroic versions of the raid. You can combine them to get your set bonuses.

* You are offered the option of a Need roll only on items that you can use. Otherwise, you are only offered Greed or Disenchant.

* Rolls that are aligned with the role you chose for the raid (tank, healer, DPS) get a +100 added to them, guaranteeing that loot goes on-spec first.

* [edit] On 12/13 Blizzard added class specifications to many items in LFR.

* I recommend rolling if any of your groupmates in the raid needs the item. Zlinka got a dagger that way: Anca and Zlinka both rolled, Anca won it, and passed it to me (Thank you again, Anca!).

* We will be running the second half of LFR Dragon Soul tonight (12/12) at about 7:30. After the reset on Tuesday, we will be running it again at 7:30 on Tuesday night (12/13) and either finishing it that evening or running the second half on Wednesday (12/14). Join us!! We can go with however many people show up, with no regard for raid composition -- as long as you have iLevel 372 you're in!

* It is quite possible that this "group of Ironsingers & friends within a larger LFR raid" is something we will want to do on a weekly basis, as a guild, in addition to the Dragon Soul normal raid. Stay tuned!

* We are also running the 5-mans frequently between about 7:30 and 9:30 server time. We would love to run with you!

* One final note: Zlinka and Oryx will not be organizing any formal raids during the holiday season. Our next organized raid is January 6, 2012, for normal Dragon Soul. We are currently constructing the roster. If you are interested in committing to that raid, please contact Oryx or myself.

See you in game!

-Zlinka
We will begin our assault on Dragon Soul, 10-man normal, next Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.!

Here is the raid roster. Invites have gone out -- please confirm as soon as possible. If you cannot come, please let us know early.

Tanks
MT: Aruadan
OT: Sevdrith

Healers
Oryx
Ryosaki (resto shaman)
Sbin

DPS
Anca
Ergosh (Lurie alt, elemental shaman)
Shantow
Sreng
Zlinka
It looks like I am going to be very tentative for Jan. 6. You might should look for a replacement for Sbin. I was looking forward to it.

I will try to update tomorrow.

-Jaba (Sbin)
Have Mana Tide, Will Travel
Dear Sbin,

Thank you for letting me know! We will miss you tomorrow.

Dentik has agreed to take your spot tomorrow.

Best,

Zlinka
After-raid report 1/6/12: After tuning our crystal-soaking technique, Morchok went down easily. We then moved on to Warlord Zon'ozz. It took us a while to master the ping-pong technique but on our final attempt it felt like we had it down, and we made it through several phases.

Things to work on for next time:
We'll need to pick up the speed of pingponging on Zon'ozz to get enough stacks of the debuff before the tank damage becomes unhealable. This will mean fast healing and fast ball-bouncing! Once we master that we'll need to learn to put DPS on Zon'ozz during the bounce phase, and to get our overall DPS higher, so we don't run out of healer mana. Here is a good strategy guide.

Keep working on your gear! We'll be hitting the LFR raid on Tuesday night at 7:30 - it's more fun to do in a group. Fast heroics are happening every night, too, just ask in GC to get a group together.

Log analysis: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h9we1z6omr9n9qpi/
Oryx - Jadox - Koryx - Atorax - Cabochon - Hargrim - Morwen - Stillweaver - Talindrys
Oryx,

I really thought he had it down when I swapped to the Priest for an extra heal (or, in my case, extra Smite-Heals.) Aruadan offered to do the same next week if you'd like to have me tank and him heal.

I think I understood how he rotated after the ball was 'launched' and then rotated back after it was absorbed.

Just a quick reminder,

The Drith
Big Grin
I found a discussion of another strategy for soaking the orbs:

Quote:Also, we likely use a different strategy than you do. Our entire raid soaks the orbs. You can position the boss such that you have one ranged DPSer about 20yards away from the boss and the rest of the raid between that DPSer and the Tank (who has the boss's back turned to the raid). The orb itself will bounce between the tank and that far DPSer, splitting each explosion with 9/10 people in the raid.

The setup takes a little practice, but it does make the execution much more forgiving as far as AoE healing, RNG on debuffs, and the like. Anyone who gets the debuff can run out for a dispel without worry, with the "far DPS" being the only exception. Depending on where the orb is at, we'll either heal through the debuff temporarily until it bounces off of him, or he'll run back slightly for a quick dispel (since he's already behind the group, he won't have to move far at all).
Oryx - Jadox - Koryx - Atorax - Cabochon - Hargrim - Morwen - Stillweaver - Talindrys
The raid group I heal for is up to Madness. If you guys have any questions about fights, do let me know. Smile

I'm not sure what your strategy is, but we leave ranged grouped on the edge of the platform where the water ends and all melee grouped on boss. We have two healers in the ranged to help heal orb hits and decursing. Then we have one healer stand in melee and AE heal them as much as possible. The fight will drain your mana no matter how you look at it as it is very healing intensive. Also, make sure you are only using one tank as its a single-tank fight. The extra DPS is basically needed. Just my two cents. Good luck!
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
1/20/12 report: Alzibal and Morchok down no problem - still working on ball bouncing technique! We got much better on those last two attempts, once we learned how to stay out of the way.

Log analysis: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s9zmkjnop62ts3uf/
On a scale of 1 - 10, how much is this raid wanting to progress? Just out of curiosity.
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
After-raid report 1-26-2012: Morchok went down easily, and after learning how NOT to heal during the purple ooze debuff, Yor'sahj went right down too. Then a quick Alizabal. Log analysis here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6jr5lo2mrf3tbcfs/
After-raid report 2/9/12: Morchok, Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj, and Hagara down! Read up on Ultraxion for next week. Log analysis here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4ogkttzrdlsemhhi/
After-raid report 2/14/12: Full clear of LFR! Congrats on the first Deathwing kill for Pheadralyn! Logs at http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rymacxrj9uahj6g0/

After-raid report 2/16/12: Back to Hagara! Thanks to Holdir for jumping in. Logs at http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/cmus96p3jqrormfy/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon Soul craftable item list Zlinka 1 2,626 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Zlinka