Blatant Lore messup on Blizzard's part?
...or am I missing something entirely?

Facts:

Our friend Zul'jin is a Forest Troll warlord.
The Trolls allied with the Horde in WCII were Forest Trolls, under Zul'jin.
The Trolls allied with the Horde in WCIII and WoW are Jungle Trolls of the Darkspear Tribe.
Jungle Troll tribes typically can't stand each other, and they loathe the Forest Trolls as well.
When a Barracks spawned a Troll Headhunter in WCIII he says "Vengeance for Zul'jin."
One of the male troll /charge emotes in WoW is "For Zul'jin!"
The captured Hakkari Zealot in Yojamba makes references to Zul'jin being lost, and as such there being little hope for salvation of the younger races from Hakkar. The Revantusk tribe makes similar reverential statements about Zul'jin (though they are forest trolls, so possibly this is less of a contradiction than other issues)
Zul'jin is now a raid boss with no explanation (thus far) of the Darkspears' on-again-off-again love affair with the Amani superhero.

So why do we dedicate our kills to him? Why do we revere him but also want him dead? Am I missing something? Is it a big ol' hole in the lore? Or is it more morally ambiguous than that? I love moral ambiguity, but Blizzard doesn't seem to leave much room for it in WoW...

So what's going on with Zul'jin?
[Image: 2426811FELbm.png]
I was similarly confused when I found out.
Not sure why you jungle trolls liked him in the first place, but obviously he's been corrupted. We must cleanse him!
Good article on this. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/08/30/know-your-lore-zuljin/">http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/08/30/kn ... re-zuljin/</a><!-- m -->

Should explain a lot, actually. Zul'jin was part of the old Horde and he abandoned it when victory wasn't happening. The forest trolls been fighting the high elves over ancestral troll lands. But now those high elves are now under the new Horde and Zul'jin and the Amani Tribe isn't giving up their campaign to take back the land. Yes, Zul'jin is considered a hero by the trolls for bringing back hope to the trill Tribes but yeah, for Zul his Tribe comes first, not the Horde especially when it's nothing like the one he campaigned with.
yeah, I don't know why they put that emote in either WIII or WoW, it makes no sense. Honestly, the only way Zul'jin SHOULD be known to the trolls of our horde is just through hearsay: the Darkspear tribe was on an island in the Maelstrom when the new horde picked em up, and had been there for some time.
"Passion and shame torment him, and rage is mingled with his grief."

~Virgil~
[Image: playerfeed_1902018_bigsig.gif]
I think the Zul'jin lore makes sense. Former ally of the Horde, now set against them because of their acceptance of the Blood(High) elves. No love lost between forest and jungle trolls, either.

Honestly, I think the emote was just thrown in there - probably sometime early in the development process - without any consideration being given to lore, much less the fact that Zul'jin would ever be making an appearance as a raid boss.

Zul'jin lore - makes sense
troll emote - not so much

My 2 cents
Zul'jin is also armless. Which makes me wonder...how is this guy going to kick our butts again? :lol:
Armless? Unless the foe that cut off his arm also cauterized it with fire, hat seem to also go against troll physiology in my opinion. But maybe I'm thinking too much about DnD trolls who still live even if their heads are chopped off... it just sort of disables them for a while.
Aye, I don't think you need fire or acid to kill trolls in WoW, but you'd think Troll Regeneration could regrow an arm. =/
Filiminjaru Wrote:Zul'jin is also armless. Which makes me wonder...how is this guy going to kick our butts again? :lol:

That's why he still has his legs.
Fleethoof Wrote:
Filiminjaru Wrote:Zul'jin is also armless. Which makes me wonder...how is this guy going to kick our butts again? :lol:

That's why he still has his legs.

*facepalms*
meanie Wrote:That's why he still has his legs.

me = pwnd. Sad
Actually, the fact that the high elves joined the Horde makes this whole Zul'jin enmity thing make a bit more sense to me. Good point!

But the emotes still suck!
[Image: 2426811FELbm.png]
Strangely enough...

allow me to be the first to say: LOLORE!
((Shhh... Sreng; I think they make it up as they go along.))