Application by Shuichi
1) State your name and any titles that you have earned, through service to the Horde in battle or otherwise
Greetings recrutment officers of the Ironsong Tribe. My name is Shuichi.

2) List your vocation, be it Mage, Hunter, or any other.
I am a currently an in-training paladin.

3) Please introduce yourself to us, as much of your personal history as you feel comfortable sharing at this time.
I am, in fact, a gay Blood Elf. I was shunned by my father for such and sought the church for help, before the horrific Scourge appeared of course. There I lived and learned the ways of the Bloodknights from my mentor Zen' Ath. Sadly, my mentor died during the attack on Silvermoon City. Having lost the man I tought of as my new father I came to the conclusion I would always protect my friends and loved ones from harm, even at the cost of my own life. I did have a lover, once, long ago, but I pefer not to talk about it yet with people I have yet to know. Also, i should point out sometimes I have....issues.......with the Forsaken. I can fight along side them, but I may not be friends with them for a bit, due to some post traumatic issues caused by the Scourge.

4) Tell us about any professions you have taken up, such as Tailoring or First Aid.
I plan to learn the ways of mining and blacksmithing. I am not the stereotypical homosexual.

5) What are the Clans, Tribes, or Guilds that you have been a part of in the past, if any?
I have yet to join any particular group of people yet, but I hope this to be my first.

6) Please describe what drew your interest in joining the Ironsong Tribe, and any memorable interactions you have had with members of Ironsong.
Durinng my return to learning the ways of the paladin I ran into a friend of the guild master's. I was then referred to you by her and thought it would be good if I gain friends to replace those i have lost because of the battle against the Scourge.

7) What is the greatest trial you have faced, either long ago, or in the recent past?
My greatest trial has been the loss of so many in my life. Whether from death like my mentor, or other reason, like my past lover.

8) What are your current goals, or some of your greatest desires, and the reasons behind them?
I wish to aid those who want to take out the Lich King. He has caused many of the problems in my life, and i will see to it that i help end his.

9) What do you enjoy most in your adventures in Azeroth
The love and the friends I once had.

10) Finally, have you read our Code of Conduct, and do you agree to abide by the rules stated in it? If so, please state so here in addition to a reply to the post itself.
I have read and hereby plegde by the Code of Conduct.
I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.

At face value, I'd welcome the opportunity for a player in the guild to present an openly gay character. It could provoke some interesting, thoughtful roleplay, and add a bit of realism by including what is an often underrepresented social demographic into this group.

However, it could just as easily become offensive, stereotyped, and trite. I hope that some of my fellow officers see fit to voice their opinions here. Shuichi, please feel free to contact me in-game; I'd really like to get a sense for your ability to handle this matter with all due sensitivity.
[Image: 2426811FELbm.png]
i, although not being an officer, think it would be intresting. i agree how some people may find it offensive depending on how you portray it. offenisve that is to people who are not comofrtable (BUCK UP) and/or more importantly to those who are or know those who are homosexual. it all depends on how you go about it.

again i think it would be intresting, and its somthing i havent seen before, so i give it a "ok to go"....but then again im not an officer...so..uh...my 2 cents may be worthless >.>
((OOC))

First - Karnma - all opinions are considered, and factored into the final decision that is made. Your opinion matters just as much as anyone else who is in the Tribe. That is what makes us strong as a group.

Second - We have had an 'openly gay' Paladin. He, however, did not fare well. He was abrasive, and offensive. He portrayed his sexual preferences in guild chat by hitting on all the 'male' players. He took offense and called me prejudiced when I privately told him to tone it down in gc. (Which I would have (and have) done with ANYONE - no matter what the preference was). That said - I would have no problem with the concept of a gay paladin - provided it is within the limits set for all Tribe. I would have to just wait and see, before I could offer more of an opinion.

Merrina - Blademaster - Troll Hunter
Dannae - Troll Priest
Aya'Tor - Orc Warlock
Zyndala - Blood Elf Mage
Zerrah - Forsaken Death Knight
Merrina - Troll Huntress
Dannae - Troll Priestess
Aya'Tor - Orc Warlock
Zyndala - Blood Elf Mage
Zerrah - Forsaken Death Knight
((OOC))

If I may state, I am openly bisexual in real life. Believe me, I'm not about to go hitting on people in the guild. Also, I happen to hate how people picture a stereotypical gay person. Also, if I offend anyone, please tell me! I don't wish to join to offend people, just to have fun and try out some RPing on WoW.
Sounds like the best way to answer all our questions is to go ahead and give Shuichi a trial period in Ironsong. We'll see you at the moot!
[Image: 2426811FELbm.png]
((ooc))
I'm not an officer in any way, but I will vocalize my liking of diversity if it is done appropriately. I personally don't believe we are defined by our orientation, and in wow we are often defined by our class Wink I would love to see Shuichi the paladin who is gay over the gay paladin Shuichi, if that makes any sense.

Either way, I look forward to seeing you at the moot and hopefully in gc and ooc
I don't play anymore, but I do find this an interesting thread.

That actually makes perfect sense, Than. It's an example of what some call "people first" language - a person who is gay, a person who is blond, a person who is a Warlock, a person who has MS, etc. The person is defined by who they are, not what they are.

I always considered Wakaraina gay, but it was so tangential to her character that I never mentioned it, beyond her attempts to dodge any kind of in-character flirtation with men. I let it inform the way I played the character, without letting it dominate what she was really about. I'm not saying that's the way a gay character has to be played, just that was how I played it. Especially as a straight male IRL, I didn't want to go around assuming I knew what it was like to be a lesbian.

I'm going to stop while I'm ahead - again, being a straight male, I can only speak from my own limited experience.
Shuichi joined us for the Moot last night, and introduced himself. It was a pleasant experience, and he was formally granted peonship when the Moot was done. We do hope he will find the Tribe a good fit.