Anyone else trying out RIFT?
Just wondering if anyone else is playing in the Beta for RIFT. Not a whole lot that's innovative, but it polishes a lot of what's come before in other MMOs. Race selection is very limited: 3 on each side. Guardians (the "good guys") get Mathosian (human), High Elf and Dwarf. Defiants get two different types of tribal humanoids, and the Kelari, an offshoot of elves.

You get a fair amount of control over your character's appearance, and the character "class" system is one of the two major changes from other class and level-based MMOs I've played.

For starters, there are 4 archetypes, or callings: Warrior, Mage, Cleric and Rogue. These 4 determine the type of souls you can select. Each has about 6 or 7 each.

When you start off at level 1, you get to pick your first soul. This establishes your first talent and ability tree. It's fairly ingenious. As you level, you get a point (think of it as a talent point, and you'll do fine). As you assign points to a soul tree, you open up abilities in the "roots" of the tree. You get 1 or two abilities just for selecting the soul. You unlock your first one at 2 points. You can have up to 3 souls active at any one time, but you can have as many souls as you can acquire. While certain combinations are considered synergistic, you don't have to pick those.

As an example, I have a High Elf cleric whose first soul was Justicar; this is a defensive type soul; it has talents to boost Armor. The 2nd soul I picked was Druid. This gives me a damage absorption ability and heals a little further into the tree. The third soul I selected was Inquisitor, which gives me some more offensive capabilities.

I haven't tried out much for the other Callings, but according to a review I read by Time Buckley, any of the callings can be a tank, of sorts.

At this point, I'm leaning towards letting my WoW sub terminate next month, and then picking this up when it releases.
Pre-orded the second it was available.

It's a clone, for the most part it's not original or inventive, but it's extremely polished. The art of the gear and the enemies you face is really quite creative. The class system is simply amazing. Rather than having 8 or 9 alts, at most I'm going to have 4.

Primarily I enjoy the mage archetype, as I'm a huge fan of necromancers in any game.

I roll deep Necromancer, with a good chunk of points in Warlock to boost my direct damage. And for my third soul I picked up Chloromancer, a healer (yes a healer) soul.

For an idea of the diversity of the souls, take a look at this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i.imgur.com/JRT0C.jpg">http://i.imgur.com/JRT0C.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Also, the dynamic content of the rifts is awesome fun.

There's a soul tree calculator up, it's a touch out of date but it gives you a good idea of how the trees work. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html">http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html</a><!-- m --> 66 points total at level 50.

Lhuurssa: I'm rolling Defiant, if that's your leaning we should coordinate servers.
I've primarily played Guardian side so far, though I have dabbled in the Defiant faction through the beginning bit. Not sure which way I'll go, but for sure if I do wind up getting the game, I'll be on an RP server.
Lhuurssa Wrote:I've primarily played Guardian side so far, though I have dabbled in the Defiant faction through the beginning bit. Not sure which way I'll go, but for sure if I do wind up getting the game, I'll be on an RP server.

Hadn't even considered if they were going to run a designated RP server or not. It's got a decent enough story for some lore though.
They have PvE, PvP, RP-PvE and RP-PvP servers.

Yes, the backstory is pretty interesting, and I've honestly not paid a whole lot of attention to it, so far. That will change if/when I start my actual first character.
If anyone is curious, you can find the website here.
Dunno about you, but I decided I really wasn't invested enough in the RP of this game to deal with the 4 hour wait to play on my chosen server. Rolled on the first PVE server that would let me in.
All I've heard is good things about this game. If I get the money, I may be trying it out.
[Image: AWOeJWn.png]
I might try it, but I'm unsure I want to front the money to do so. We shall see!

(Posted via my phone)
I will eventually be getting this game. At the moment, though, due to the imminently transitory nature of my life, it would be unwise to purchase it right now.
Recently my brother-in-law, husband and I purchased this game. We played together for about three hours the first night and did very little questing, though the quests are there and are quite interesting. For three hours we played and ran non stop through the 10-19 zone (Freemarch i think its called) doing nothing but closing rifts.

If you are unfamiliar with the game, a rift is a tear in the world that allows creatures (evil ones) to come through. There are battles to close them, sometimes minor sometimes epic and everyone in the zone may participate from the lowest levels on up to the highest. The rewards are unique and interesting and the game play seems to be fresh and dynamically generated. We had a blast.

I'd highly recommend the game. From questing to world events and on into dungeons its amazingly put together. The user interface is enough like WoW and Everquest that anyone who's familliar with mmo's can come in and be playing within minutes, but unique enough to be fresh and entertaining.

The down sides as I see them:

No guild bank. Sharing with your guild mates seems to be on a one on one basis as there is no guild bank in the game. I'm hopeful that will change in the future as the game is young yet.

No player housing or guild halls. While WoW doesn't have these either, I've always felt they are an amazing part of an mmo that all should have! Again I am hopeful to see them in the future.

A bit confusing. Though I've already said mmo vets would have no trouble picking up this game and playing in minutes, the soul system/ talent tree/spec system is a bit confusing. While there are only four archetypes to choose from: Mage, Warrior, Rogue and Cleric, there are many many sub classes from which you initially chose three. Later on you get the option to learn new 'souls' or trees that you can trade in and out. Its a bit confusing all in all, but interesting.

Over all observations:

Mounts are available from level 6 on, provided that you have the money to buy them. If you purchase the Collectors Edition, you'll receive a mount to begin your adventures with. At first I thought this was a bad idea then I realized that there are no true flight paths so the idea of not having a mount at any time is a bit daunting. That said, the zones are laid out quite well and there is very little back tracking unless you just wanna run around finding and closing rifts.

The crafting system is a bit different. Its node farming/crafting based like wow, however it is possible to not craft something correctly and its a bit more time consuming than the wow system. That said, the rewards seem to be a bit more useful early on so it evens out.

My pc runs it great on medium settings. My system specs are: Am3 Phenom 4x processor, 4gb ddr2 ram. 200gbh hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 4550 gfx. For anyone who has no clue what that is, its a quad processor with moderate ram and a really bad graphics card that needs to be replaced. So I figure if my pc runs this game well, yours probably will as well. My husband has a similar set up but has the processor with ddr5 ram so it runs much better on his machine. He can run in Ultra and the world looks amazing with that card. That said, the world looks amazing on my crappy card on medium settings. I tested it and it looks quite good on low as well.

Guild system is interesting. It has guild perks, though not as develloped as the ones for wow. Achievements system, guild quest system for leveling the guild, though you can also level the guild through rift runs, pvp, questing and achievements. The guild system is quite similar to what wow has currently except for the additional weekly quild quest.

Artifacts: These are shiny bits on the ground (much like EQ2 if you are familliar with that one) that you can collect. Once you get a full collection they turn in for special currancy that can purchase special items like pets, mounts, and rp gear. Mostly just fun items, but it seems there are sects of people who dedicate much time to hunting them down.

It has the standard fare, such as banks, auction houses, crafting stations, quests, dungeons etc.

This is a great game and I'd highly recommend it to you all. The world is beautiful even on low settings and the dynamic content make each log in different. There are daily quests, faction grinds, world events, pvp, pve, dungeons, raids, crafting and much much more to keep a person entertained. I've managed to get to level 20 so far and have not really focused on the level grind we all get bogged down in. Its just not that important in this world.

Anyway, that's just my two cents, though I've typed enough to have given at least four! I'll be absent from the lands of Azeroth for a while as Telara calls to me a bit more strongly these days. Anyone who's interested in playing come see me on the Estrael shard (server) PvE/RP. My characters are Eonia, Ageia, and Chaka and they are Defiants.
Am playing now on the Estrael shard (server) PvE/RP - look up Yendiri
Etsuko - Monk
Razzlixx Blingwell - Warlock
Cloudjumper Wildmane - Druid (Inactive)