Alts and mains - simple request
Hi!

With 4.03a and Cataclysm, we have been, and will, have a massive influx of new alts in guild. Troll druids, forsaken hunters, Tauren paladins/priests, goblins, and "other". I am already overwhelmed with the number of new characters and the constant stream of "Who are you?" and even more annoying, the number of folks just ignoring and not responding to toon names they don't recognize.

Can we please get everyone to use the guild tag for every IST character and mark their main in it? Something as simple as ("Mirounga") or something as complex as "Mirounga's new older sibling". This will at least allow everyone to connect these toons together, especially as folks jump characters and want to continue a conversation.

Thanks!
A wonderful idea!

I'd like to also add that, while filling out the application to the guild is not required for alts, it does help us get to know your character better. Pretty please!

((Another thing I'd like to add is the language barrier's that have been introduced into guild chat. I feel that talking in your race's native language in guild chat makes it frustrating for guild members who don't understand troll, goblin, tauren, belfish, or undeadish and can actually alienate your character when using non-orcish languages from other races. Trust me when I say, I encourage RP, but it makes it hard when the language barrier is put up. What does everyone else think?))
Wow, three topics in two posts. Hrm.

1. If not an application, an RP write-up of the character would be nice to see in the tales section! (Maybe even making a thread for your alts.) This gets the stories out, though not everyone goes to these boards and an in-game connection in your guild-notes would be nice!

2. I think that actually typing the name of the language being used (Tauranthe) and then typing in an understandable language would make it more friendly to the players, and then we can try and react to inflection, or at least enjoy the roleplay being done. a.k.a. Don't use the in-game language choice changer, but instead "fake it" so we can all enjoy.

3. I still encourage connection to mains in your guild tab, for OOC ease of play to see who the player is for all the various toons. Even those of you that are "old school" IST are unknown to those of us who have "only" been here 1-2 years, so a nice in-game connection between alts would make getting to know you easier!
Might want to also push the use of the addon Identity in the OOC channel.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/identity-2.aspx">http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... ity-2.aspx</a><!-- m -->

I definitely second Mirounga's suggestion of speaking in orcish with a preceding <LANGUAGE> tag. But frankly, from an RP standing you'll get the cold shoulder and a rude comment from any of my characters if you're not speaking a universally understood language. Talking in a language not understood by everyone in a mixed gathering is elitist and uncool. It's rude in real life and it's rude in game.
I think the person I saw that was using a language tag wasn't trying to be elitist. I believe it was just a character that in terms of RP was still learning the common language so they still spoke predominantly Trollish.

However, I do like the idea of faking the language so that others can possibly RP as understanding that language.

For instance, say I am a Blood Elf. I can't understand the standard Trollish tag, but let's say I RP as a highly educated linguist and can understand Trollish. A fake [Trollish] tag would allow me to follow along as normal, based on my own RP, whereas my "stupid" Orc alt would just see your fake [Trollish] tag as respond with "Wat you say?" It's not like the Blizzard [Trollish] tag actual translates into "real" Trollish anyway. It's just troll-like babbling.

On the topic of using the guild tag to indicate an alt's main, I agree with that being a good idea. I've pretty much always done this when I invite people into whatever guild I've been in, including IST, but I don't know that it's standard procedure (though I would advocate that). I don't think just anyone can edit those so it will probably need to be the inviting officer that sets the note in the guild tab.
[Image: IST_Noodle2_sm.jpg]
I think you can only manipulate tags if you are a grunt or higher I seem to remember not being able to put a tag on Bloodbound when I first joined.
Noodlemortis Wrote:I think the person I saw that was using a language tag wasn't trying to be elitist. I believe it was just a character that in terms of RP was still learning the common language so they still spoke predominantly Trollish.

If this is referring to an interaction I had with a new character yesterday, Noodle is correct. The player informed me privately that this character did not speak Orcish well yet. We exchanged a few sentences in Trollish, and eventually I summarized the conversation in Orcish for guild chat.

I like the idea of doing this kind of thing with fake [Trollish]. I'll remember that next time.

-Z
Zlinka Wrote:
Noodlemortis Wrote:I think the person I saw that was using a language tag wasn't trying to be elitist. I believe it was just a character that in terms of RP was still learning the common language so they still spoke predominantly Trollish.

If this is referring to an interaction I had with a new character yesterday, Noodle is correct. The player informed me privately that this character did not speak Orcish well yet. We exchanged a few sentences in Trollish, and eventually I summarized the conversation in Orcish for guild chat.

I like the idea of doing this kind of thing with fake [Trollish]. I'll remember that next time.

-Z

Fake language tags or a provided translation tag is peachy. Heck, at one point if I recall correctly we had a pair of players where one was a mute and the other talked for them (or that might have been in Rotten Luck...) and that was a great RP mechanic. My problem is when two or more people are talking in another language without consideration for those around them that don't understand it. It just seems really rude to me and my characters will take offense even if they speak the language.
Here's my final (hopefully) word about languages. I think faking the language is a fantastic idea. Rincewindy is fluent in many many languages. I am not. And I have no idea how to use the feature in-game where you can talk in a different language. And after visiting with my in-laws who can speak both english and spanish, but use only spanish because it's easier for them (which I can't follow at all because they speak Verrry quickly), I have developed a pet peeve against anyone who does the same sort of thing - No offence to anyone doing it as RP, but it bugs me because Rince would know that language, but becomes non-fluent in it because I've no clue. And that the dead bush beaten to death.
I always try to mark my alts with a tag, at least until it's well established that I'm that toon. If you can't do it then whisper or pm someone that can do it for you.

As for languages: For full length/ongoing things, I agree that it should be typed out without a special language filter on with a note of some kind indicating that it's another language such as

<in Trollish>
*Attaroa mumbles "stupid elves" under her breath in trollish*

But I don't mind a sentence or two with the language filter on. I recall a good rp session where melikar and sreng shot a couple lines in trollish to each other while still carrying on with thanny and the others, and I have turned on the belf speak a couple times to hurl an rp shot. In very small doses it can add flavor, imo, but one should be ready to translate in ooc so as not to leave people out.