Addons You Would Like To See
It looks like they are going to let me teach a class in addon development for WoW and WAR, and I need ideas.

-Jaba
Have Mana Tide, Will Travel
Wait....a college course? On the development of online gaming add-ons? If its an online class, sign me up! I need to know more about this stuff anyway!
Shantow the Bear
The Ironsong Tribe

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." King
Hrm. Well, you could always work up a FlagRSP-like addon for WAR. I know that may not be exactly what you're looking for but it's the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Also, that's so cool. Congrats man.
Righteous are those who look up and sway with the wind,
Who look down and dance with the shifting of the soil,
Who swim with the movement of the tides!
I toyed around with the idea of writing a mod to calculate EP values for items at one point, but Pawn and EquivalencePoints beat me to the punch.
"You can never run from trouble, 'cause there ain't no place that far." - Scissor Sisters, "Lights"
Here's a couple ideas. Seems to me that to be an interesting class project you want to have a significant networking/message passing piece to it, rather than a custom UI. It's easy to get bogged down in screen design but once you struggle with one UI layout tool you've struggled with 'em all.

1. A LinkedIn-style social networking app for group formation. Once a player opts in, messages are passed to characters on your friends list that allow each player to construct a graph of friend relationships (optionally with a recommendation string). When you hit the "find group" button, it runs through the list of friends and friends-of-friends to see who is available.
Bonus points for: limiting search to players who aren't already in an instance; supporting a privacy mask with an introduction feature; supporting alt lists to find characters that are online but not on the befriended character

2. I don't know whether WARs EULA forbids cross-faction communication. But I've often thought a program that used one of the cross-faction communication channels to let you pass short strings would be a good way to teach about covert channels and protocol mediation. You could, for example, use "/wave" and "/nod" to implement Morse code.
Bonus points for: using more than 1 bit; creating a Huffman code to do it more efficiently than Morse; implementing LZW compression Smile

3. A fun one for students would be an Eliza-style conversation bot. You could focus on the parsing side, or use it to talk about grammars to generate reasonable-sounding output, perhaps based on keywords in the user input. Or implement the classic "20 Questions" bot.

4. Any simple little game that passes messages between players could be good. Mastermind, Tic Tac Toe, Battleship, etc. Those would basically be a UI design challenge plus a pretty simple custom chat message.
I would like a fishing mod that would allow me to cast my line by clicking with the mouse the same as when attacking. It would also auto loot anything I caught. And if it had in it some kind of fishing outfit click to change me out of my adventure gear and into my fishing attire that would be awesome. Also if you could include something that tells me my current fishing skill without having to go into my character screen once my fishing rod and gear are equiped that would be super. And a nice tacklebox for all your various lures and hooks would give it a nice rounded feeling. A fishing manual on what you can catch where would be handy in there too.
Etsuko - Monk
Razzlixx Blingwell - Warlock
Cloudjumper Wildmane - Druid (Inactive)